Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The new drive fins show great promise in enhanced performance for the Mirage series. The potential down side will be cost and packaging options.

From what I understand, Hobie currently plans to make the system available only as an upgrade to existing drives. This makes perfect sense for those Mirage owners who just want swap out their fins and masts for the new ones.

But for those who wish to opt for the performance version in conjunction with a new Mirage purchase, there doesn't seem to be any accomodation. If one were to buy a new automobile and wanted upgraded wheels and tires, he doesn't have to buy both sets; the manufacturer only charges the difference in value. I'd like to see Hobie take the same approach so buyers don't have to purchase two sets of fins to get the upgrade (thus wasting money and materials).

In my experience, Hobie tries to be fair to its customers, so I'm hoping they'll give this issue some serious consideration.

With regard to pricing of the new fins and masts, I would agree with Apalach in being hopeful, but not confident: Hopeful that Hobie would offer a nice package discount on the upgrade, but not confident because the existing aggregate price on the standard fin/mast components is already over $60.

Hobie obviously appreciates the forum's input to its operation and products; any other suggestions?

Post subject: new fin pricing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would think a normal policy might be to change production to the new style fins and only offer the new after a certain production date (saving a supply of old fins for replacements). Why supply new boats with old style fins if they are greatly improved? Obviously, a kit price for conversion could be offered those customers who choose to buy current production boats with old fins. Just thinking what normal production policies might be.

Post subject: Options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

The new longer fins are not planned as standard equipment. I think you can look at them like changing gears. Unfortunatly you have to change out the whole fin to do it, but sometimes you might like the extra high end and other times just an easy cruise. This is all up to personal preference at this point, but all indicators are pointing to accessory, not standard.

Cost? My first estimate on a conversion kit, 2 sails and two masts? About $80 bucks.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)