Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:43 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I just ordered an Adventure for use on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Intended use is touring to get into some of the remote beaches and fishing. Like another poster I'd also be interested in some long distance stuff, maybe races, like from Big Island to Maui (30 miles). I'd like to hear about any operation of Hobie yaks, Adventure in particular in rough ocean waters (I may get over to Hilo side, etc) where cockpit is completely flooded.

Advice received so far is to power up and let scuppers do work.

This could be easier said than done given some places I have been in with my OC-1 ( Outrigger canoe 1 man) and OC-6's (40 footer).

Decriptions of experiences righting the yak in rough water would also be appreciated.

BTW any description of lights available for night ops?

Looking forward to any replies.

aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,
All good questions, but my guess is that it is way too early to get the answers you are looking for, since the BigA has only been for sale in the U.S. for about a month now. But based on my limited test of the Adventure, I would say that it would be an excellent boat for what you have in mind. It tracks well, is very stable, is the fastest Hobie yak out there at 16 feet, has the Mirage pedal drive, plus you can sail it. Add an outrigger or two, and you should have a great boat for interisland travel--even the Molokai Channel perhaps! Also Hobie is working on a new, larger sail for the BigA, and new, more powerful Mirage drive flippers.

If you think you might be in need of some extra flotation, a simple solution is to pack the hull with a bunch of plastic pool noodles. So far as lights go, I mount a waterproof, personal C-light on the end of a PVC pipe about 4 feet long (so it can be seen above your head while seated) and then put the PVC pipe in a rod-holder. However, for max visibility, the PVC pipe needs to be vertical and not canted off at an angle as would be the case in most built-in rodholders. However, boat lights are up to each State, as I recall, so you need to check your local State regs on this. Here is a pic of the BigA under sail with the standard Hobie sail kit.

Post subject: Scuppers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:42 am 
Site Admin

The drive well is a huge scupper and drains the cockpit quickly. No problem in fully breaking waves.

One thing you will find in rough water and surf is that the length of the hull and bow shape of the Adventure make it a wave piercing bow. You will get some water in the cockpit, but you get a lot less spray off the bow. The water wraps around the bow and flows aft without being deflected as spray in your face. Since the drive well helps the cockpit drain so quickly, the water in the cockpit is a none issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)