Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to purchase a Hobie Adventure, but Hobie policy makes my choices difficult. I would like Hobie to explain their ridiculous (IMHO) policy of having regular kayak dealers and fishing kayak dealers. People who want to fish should have the option of all available colors and the option of whether or not to purchase the fishing package. This pairing of three kayak colors (out of seven) with a “fishing package” seems just silly and arbitrary. All Hobie kayak dealers should be able to order kayaks in all colors with or without the fishing package. I think the policy is arbitrary because fishing kayak dealers and regular dealers both offer the sail package and it would be difficult to fish and sail at the same time.

If there are others out there who feel this way, please let Hobie know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've wondered about this myself. I suspect it has something to do with guaranteed territories that protect the franchisee against a competing dealer within a certain distance. It's a common business practice. Under this logic, you could have a fishing dealer in close proximity to a non-fishing dealer because their product line is "different" so they're not technically competing. But each dealer becomes limited in what they can sell.

On the other hand, in the San Diego area, you've got competing Hobie dealers as close as a couple of miles to each other selling the same product. I'm sure there is an explanation which no doubt is complicated and at Hobie's discretion.

This is just one possible explanation -- don't know if it's on target or not. :roll:

Post subject: Dealers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

I am not in sales, but I'd say you have it about right. We have four distinct product lines and dealer networks now. Actually, make that five.

Hobie Cat makes fiberglass sailboats, Rotomolded sailboats, Fishing Float Cats, Kayaks and Fishing Kayaks. There are specific markets for each and many overlaps.

Basically, we know that a healthy dealer is a good dealer for it's customers. We try not to over book regions with competing dealers to allow dealers a healthy share of their market area. Fishing dealers may not carry other versions (recreational versions and colors) of our kayaks and some recreational dealers are not set up to be or experienced enough to be real fishing dealers. Rather than limit the number of dealers (say, where a non-fish dealer would block a fish dealer from opening) we chose to open different types of dealerships.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)