Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventure or Outback?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:12 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Hello all.
Doing some research for next spring trying to decide between an Outback & Adventure. I was about to pull trigger on an Outback last year, but I got a sweet deal on a T 160i. Nice boat, but I've been haunted by the OB since I first saw it. Finding these forums makes me even more inclined to go Hobie. Since I moved away from the coast recently, a more manueverable kayak is in order. The 160 is too hard to spin around to be enjoyable.

My dilema comes partly from the relatively small price difference in the 2. Test paddles are not looking very promising, so I'm hoping to find someone here that has tried both, even better if a comparison of the 160i, T 140, T 120, P 13 or P 15 can be done because I've tried / owned them.

It's looking like I'll be fishing some rivers (avoiding rapids) & smallish ponds with occaisional trips to the coast. I haven't been able to launch anywhere yet since most spots are iced in. The launch spots I've scoped so far look like a piece of cake getting from car to water. I'm hoping there is enough depth in the rivers to be able to use the MD mostly.

Can anyone give me some insight to how easily the Adventure can be spun around, either with a paddle or rudder? I've read the OB is very manueverable. It also comes higly recommended by Apalach :wink:

Also, I'll be toting around 250 -260 pounds of me & gear on average in case that makes a difference in recommendations.

Anything else I should factor in that I'm missing?

Thank You in advance

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mcattardo wrote:
Doing some research for next spring trying to decide between an Outback & Adventure. It also comes higly recommended by Apalach
Hi mcattardo - the best bet for easy turns is the Outback, period. It is also going to handle more weight. Happy Holidays, Ho, Ho, Ho...biecat! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mcattardo,

I have tried both and I'm going to buy an Adventure, but that is for me and what I want to do with it and where I'll be using it.

They are very different with different strengths and weaknesses. The price difference is small, but they are both a bit of money unless you are rich that is, then buy one of each. You should get what you like best after testing and not rely on the opinions of others who may desire something very different in in a fishing kayak.

I most highly recommend that you do some dealer research and demo both boats and on the same day if possible. I hope you get what is best for you! Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

McAttardo, Apalach would be the person to PM or wait for a reply ..( I believe he is on a fishing trip) Or read his previous post on the bigA (Adventure) http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:31 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for the responses.

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK Mac,
I'm back from my GAFFE trip to the Everglades. But I took my wife's Sport instead of my Outback due to my back problem that developed about 2 weeks before. I have to say that I really enjoyed the Sport in terms of its light weight and manueverability, but I would have enjoyed my OB more probably due to its faster speed (greater length), and I would have enjoyed the BigA even more because of its even greater paddle and pedal speed! We covered a lot of water, both open sea just inside the Gulf Stream, and inland salt water lakes (West Lake in the Everglades), and both gave the nod to a longer hull length and faster pedal/paddle speed.

So, if I was trying to make the choice now with the BigA on the scene (NA when I got my OB), which one would I go for? If I had the transport capability (i.e., a good trailer), and the storage space for a long boat, I probably would have to go with theBigA. It is the yak that truly has everything in terms of both paddle and pedal speed, the Mirage Drive, excellent stability, and plenty of room for below-decks storage of rods and gear for surf transits (which I did successfuly in the Sport, but it was a bit hairy). However, I would definitely miss the awesome gunwale tackle storage trays of the OB and Sport, the extra built-in rodholders, and the space to mount and thru-bolt my RAM lobster pot outriggers.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xx