Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all,
last week we took our 2 outbacks to Morro Bay, Ca. the water was so shallow in places that we had to lift the rudder to get through. the boats wanted to go in circles. it was very difficult to steer a straight course. this was the first time we had to paddle without the rudder and it was rather frustrating. anybody have any experience with how the new adventure works without a rudder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:26 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Were you pedaling or paddling? I've paddled my Adventure and found it to be a very good traditional kayak in most respects. If you're pedaling with the rudder up then you're at the whim of every little rip, current, splash, breeze and wake out there.

I'm kinda slow so I jsut figured out that if you are in water too skinny to have the rudder down you probably weren't pedaling either. Weird.

Check your hull for warp or twist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If it's anything like our Mirage Tandem, it sucks.

You have to keep correcting every few strokes, which means losing control of your paddle. Sweep strokes don't seem to be too effective.

I have battled with this, and we do a lot of shallow work, so we have two other kayaks for that purpose.

Sorry there is no easy answer for you. You just have to grin & bear it, or work out a way of steering the rudder with your feet, like a retro control or something. Again, this is also something I was going to do, but I bought a Quest, and all my problems were solved, overnight!

Cheers

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nirvan, I own a Quest and have little to no trouble with the rudder up. Yes, the tracking is better with the rudder down but I have operated in shallow coastal flats for hours with the rudder up with no major headaches. This seems to be because of the hull design more than anything I was doing. The Adventure hull design is much closer to that of Quest than it is to the Outback. I spent 90 minutes with the Adventure operating with the rudder up and down and had no problems either way, better with it down but no major problems with it up. When I tried the Outback, I had the same problems you mentioned. On this board, Apalach posted some pictures a few weeks back, of the Outback, the Sport, the Quest and the Adventure loaded into a trailer hull up. This clearly showed the family resemblance of the Quest and the Adventure as opposed to the Outback and the Sport. llt

Post subject: Adventure paddling
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Adventure paddling.

The Adventure paddles very well without the rudder.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Adventure paddling
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Adventure paddling.

The Adventure paddles very well without the rudder.

If you can get the rudder up when it is in place out on the water!!! Mine wont budge but then maybe some (straight out of the factory) adjustment is in order...sorry...couldnt help myself to have a gripe!!! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nirvan

My Adventure paddles very well with the rudder up. Good tracking on this yak.

Paul