Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder range of motion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did a quick search and did not see this topic. The problem I am having (2010 Oasis) is that 75% of the range of motion of the rudder controller is to the right and 25% to the left. Is there a way to adjust it so that the middle of the range of motion is straight? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the lines tied to the rudder controls will need to be adjusted. Do a search on the Hobie site and they have good instructions on adjusting the rudder control lines. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I seem to recall that even after making adjustments to maximize range of motion in both directions that the rudder will still extend further in one direction moreso than the other direction. At least that is the way it appeared to be on my Revo and my Outback due to the way the Twist-n-Stow rudder assembly mounts to the kayak.
I could be dead wrong though as I did not study it that close. It just appeared to look that way to me. I have plenty of steering available since I use the large sailing rudder on both yaks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Here are some tips on centering and obtaining full deflection on your rudder (regardless of rudder size). 8)

Quote:
Rudder: Rudder selection and adjustment should be considered part of any performance tuning. Switching to the large ("sailing") rudder is the best single equipment performance upgrade you can make, regardless of your boat or usage. It may occur to some that a smaller rudder has less surface area and therefore less friction.. This may be theoretically true in calm water with straight tracking, but realistically with the Hobie rudder, this is not the case. The large rudder gives better course control with less tending and eliminates constant correcting, especially in more active water. That's where your performance comes from. Add this to more dynamic handling and there is absolutely no comparison, especially with the Adventure (which barely turns without it).

In order to obtain full rudder authority and deflection, the directional control lines should be taut when the rudder is deployed and centered.. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver to make the adjustments

First, deflect your tiller or rudder control full left and right, and [using a cardboard template or bevel square (shown)] check the deflection angles at the rudder in both directions.
Any slack in the line should be first removed on the side that has the least deflection. Fine tune the lines accordingly to obtain equal rudder deflection from the tiller. Do not make your adjustments based on pushing the rudder back and forth, as this is not how the rudder is operated and will give you a false center.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you saying that I merely need to turn the phillips head screw? It appears to me that I need to untie the line -- tighten it-- and then retie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

phil1ben wrote:
Are you saying that I merely need to turn the phillips head screw? It appears to me that I need to untie the line -- tighten it-- and then retie.

Yes you are right... Untighten the screw and untie the line then adjust and repeat reverse order.