Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Me and my girlfriend are looking to purchase a tandem kayak and are pretty much set on a Hobie. We like the features and the fact that the deluxe model comes with everything we need minus life vests. We live in Austin and do pretty much lakes / calms rivers. We may go to some light rapids on some nearby rivers as well.

We have tried the Kona out, and found it enjoyable, but we can seem to find an Odyssey to try out. I know all the specifications and differences between the two, but it is hard to see without actually being on one in the water.

Does anyone have any experience with both of them, and can share their opinions about the Pros and Cons of the two (in comparison of the two).

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've owned a Kona, and now I have an Oasis (which is very similar in shape and size to the Odyssey).

If you are looking for a recreational paddling kayak, there probably isn't a huge difference between the two. The main differentiation comes in the way of convenience. The Kona is about the shortest tandem you can find, and I imagine that this is its main selling point. It is a very convenient boat for getting out on the water. It is incredibly stable and a fun swimming platform.

The Odyssey is (most likely) a bit less stable (but still very) and perhaps more suited to actual trips with a destination in mind. It's got a greater cargo capacity and will be a bit faster in the water (less effort to paddle overall).

A HUGE bonus for the Kona though, is the molded in center seat. This is brilliant as it allows the Kona to also function as a wonderful solo boat. The Odyssey doesn't have this option.

A stripped down version of the Kona is a very popular boat with kayak rental outfits because of its ease of paddling and stability with new kayakers.