Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess i still have concerns about cracking hulls & colors re: durability and visibility. My son and I will be fishing camping and sailing from these rigs (outback and adventure i could'nt decide so i'm getting one of each) I've put a deposit on these two yaks in the sand color(@fastlane sailing ) which looks like it will hide scratches,dirt and have less fade than say the yellow or red ones. I am concerned about the durability of the grey color as far as hull cracks and the safety factor as far as visibility on the water.
Could anyone with alittle more experience help me decide on the color. I like the red and yellow ones but think the may start looking nasty after some use. any imput would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Baldyaker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey BY,
Good questions. My experience with red autos and from observing red rental yaks is that after being in the sun for several years, the red tends to fade, or get kind of a washed-out appearance. However, in the case of autos, washing and waxing every 6 months or so will help prevent the fade. Also orange, and to some degree, yellow yaks experience the fade problem. I don't know for certain, but my educated guess is that this would be less of a problem with the sand (gray) yaks. Now there are wax-type treatments that can be applied to yak hulls to prevent or slow this, but not many folks use these to my knowledge. Also storing yaks under tarps outdoors or under cover (garage, porch) will prevent fading also.

In so far as the sand colored Mirage drive yaks being more prone to hull cracking, that seems to be a myth. It was mainly sand-colored OBs in a particular production run about 2 years ago that experienced this problem, to my knowledge. And you are correct--the sand will definitely be less visible on the water than a bright yellow, white, red, or orange one. The upside, if you are a hunter or stealth fisher, is that you would probbly be less visible to your prey as well. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

As Apalach says, fade will be mostly affected by where and how you store them. Mine are all white, but I wax them to keep them looking clean. There on Mission bay, oil deposits from all the stinkpotters tend to accumulate eventually forming a grungy deposit, especially in the footrest area.

BTW, I really enjoyed doing business with Ron -- am confident he'll treat you well. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Baldyaker.. Pick the color you like best then store it properly. Wear a bright colored PFD and hat for visibility. I always keep one of those aerosol air horns at the ready when kayaking around larger craft.

And yes...Ron at Fast Lane is first class!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the input. I really do like the sand colored Hobies and will probably end up getting them. As for Ron and his crew they are great. My son and I drove down from Hesperia, Ca to test drive the kayaks and they let us run amuck with them. They are very helpful and patient. I would recomend Fastlane sailing center to anyone interested in the sport. I've got a 26 ft sailboat and I'm looking forward to throwing the sails up on these Hobies and seeing what they can do.
Thanks again for the help guys,
Baldyaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

baldyaker wrote:
I really do like the sand colored Hobies and will probably end up getting them.
Not sure about how the weather is where you live. Here along coastal Alabama, summer (May - October), the heat can be brutal. I chose a white kayak so the hull would not absorb heat from the sun. Which hull do you think will last longer, one bouncing the heat away, or one absorbing the heat?

Post subject: Hot out there?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Hot out there?

You will want one of these!

Available starting May 2006

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Or a couple of these...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't "short" change yourself Noal--just reverse the hats! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, Very nice. When will the 'wind skirt' be available?