Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guns for kayaking?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my house, I am afraid of using pistols because of collateral damage "neighbors" in a kayak, I guess a pistol will work but I found so many of the small ones have very bad accuracy issues, more then 10 feet. maybe I just can't shoot!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My carry gun is the NAA .22mag previously pictured. Yup, 10 foot range, maybe 20 if you're lucky. Purely defensive, but very portable.

Believe it or not, my kayaking pistol of choice (in addition to the .22) is an obsolete (antique, actually) M1895 Russian Nagant revolver, which holds 7 rounds of .30 caliber ammo with about the same ballistic energy as a .38 special. In the country I routinely kayak/hike/camp, besides the possible two-legged miscreants, coyotes and rattlers are the biggest concern, although we do have lion too. Wolves are just one state over though, and moving this way.

I have taken a Ruger P89 out with me once or twice, but it proved to be a bit large for the purpose.

I've considered a Henry .22 Survival as a kayaking longarm (it floats), but I'm still up in the air about it. I've also thought that one of those Taurus Judges with alternating .410 and 45 might be a good choice.

I was robbed at knifepoint one time, but I opted to pay the lice-infested worm the $200 I had rather than use the .38 I had on me.

Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice thread and I enjoy the various opinions. I live in Centeral florida. Theres alot of bad elements around. I've been suprized a couple of times when my person protection was beyond arms reach though I possess a vailid CWP. I didn't feel the need on my own back screened in porch. Luckily I had a good retreat route available at the time. But thats neither here nor there for this thread.

Kayaing the back waters florida has its dangers. Mostly big gators... I MEAN BIG GATORS. Usually they're pretty passive and posesss a built in fear/respect of man. This is good because I also posess a built in fear/ respect for them as well. That being said they tend to loose their fear during breeding season and can be very agressive it you get to close. But if you don't see em then....its spooky to even think about that part.

Then there's the ignorant redneck folks to tend to drink and boat at the same time. I think I fear them more than the gators. Lord knows they've caused their share of troubles. Poachers most of em anyway. (Anyone remember the Movie " Dueling Banjos" ............... gee mister, you got a purdy mouth!

In this state its legal to carry a handgun when kiking or fishing without a CWP. The weapon itself cannot be concealed during such an outting unless you carry a CWP. These law does not apply to state and federal managment areas and preserves. Carrying in those places is usually verbotten.

I don't care what anyone says...... My Ruger Sp-101 .357 mag stays under my arm when I'm fishing freshwater.

Keith wrote: I was robbed at knifepoint one time, but I opted to pay the lice-infested worm the $200 I had rather than use the .38 I had on me.
Very smart and I must say.. wise of you Keith. Though it would have been a legal kill on yer part......... the mental repercussions of takeing a human life are simply too overwhelming to actually pull the trigger so easily.

I was in a similar situation where the assailant brought a knife to a gun fight. Fortunately I had advanced warning of the situation and brough my arm to bear. Just the sight of the stainless steel 3 inch barrel was a good deterant to defuse the situation. But there is a funny part to this........ you should have seen the guys eyes bug out. Just like in the cartoons. :P That was a happy ending. Nobody died..... nobody got hurt.

Last edited by Obenwa on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea, the best gunfight you can get into in no gunfight at all! If you shoot the person without being shot, you win! If you both shoot each other, you loose! If you get shot and the other person does not get shot, you loose! The Odds in a gunfight suck for both parties! Best not to play!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fish_It wrote:
What possible circumstances would provoke you to the point where you'd feel justified to shoot somebody and how likely is it, do you suppose, that you're going to encounter such circumstances in your kayak?

Source: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/10 ... oting.html
Mexico seeks 2 suspects in reported lake shooting

By JORGE VARGAS

Associated Press Writer

NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico — Mexican authorities are searching for a pair of brothers they suspect in the reported border-lake shooting of a missing American, a police official in the Mexican border state of Tamaulipas said Sunday.

David Hartley has not been seen since the reported Sept. 30 attack on Falcon Lake on the Rio Grande.

Investigators believe brothers Juan Pedro and Jose Manuel Zaldivar Farias may have killed Hartley as he snapped photos of a sunken church from a personal watercraft, said Tamaulipas State Police unit chief Juan Carlos Ballesteros.

The pair already are wanted for allegedly belonging to a gang of pirates operating on Falcon Lake, which straddles the U.S.-Mexico border, and allegedly terrorizing a Mexican town at the south end of the lake.

Ballesteros gave no other details of the investigation.

The announcement came a day after the Mexican government announced that it had opened a federal investigation into the reported shooting on the lake and strongly denied delaying action on finding the man or his attackers.

Falcon Lake is a dammed section of the Rio Grande, 25 miles long and 3 miles across. Pirates have robbed boaters and fisherman on the Mexican side, prompting warnings by Texas state officials, but Hartley's death would mark the first violent fatality on the lake. (edit: boldmine)

The foreign ministry's statement said the federal attorney general's office has opened an investigation based on Tiffany Hartley's testimony to Mexican consulate officials in McAllen, Texas, where she lives.

Meanwhile, Mexican authorities continued to search Falcon Lake and its Mexican shore for Hartley, with support from the Mexican army and navy and U.S. agencies. Wife Tiffany Hartley says her husband was shot in the head while they used personal watercrafts on the lake.

Tiffany Hartley told Zapata County, Texas, Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez that she tried to retrieve her husband but left him behind when she was forced to flee from in a hail of bullets.

Tamaulipas' state civil protection said it has 102 people scouring the surface of the reservoir with the help of three boats, five all-terrain vehicles and 53 trucks.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/10/2535524/2-sought-in-reported-lake-shooting.html#ixzz124JmCoZG

Some of the top recommendations so far (IMO):
Ruger SP101
NAA Mini
AR7 (it floats!)
Glock (various, w/mods)

I'm tending to lean to the lighter wieght, S.S. revolvers...

ETA- More on above story: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/10/12/mexican-police-official-investigating-border-lake-shooting-dead/

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Saiga 12 gauge combat grips works in Florida where we have fast aggressive snakes and gators in the water and on land and nasty wild pigs and some bears on land. This weapon covers it all, spread for snakes and other small nasty critters and knockdown power and potency for gators pigs and bears. As a bonus any two legged nasty that sees this in your hand or attached to your kayak will move along. Approved as a hunting weapon so travels well.

Pray you don't have to use it and thank the lord he didn't make an idiot and had it with you when needed.

Peace through superior firepower.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Speaking of superior firepower...

The Ultimate PWC Repellent
Advanced Tactical Weaponry for the catamaran sailor

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/w ... humor.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been kicking around the idea of adding a sling shot to my arsenal. Those squirrels are numerous. And tastey too. Mepps will give discounts on lures for tails also. I've been twenty foot away from a bobcat on the shore. He didn't hear me drifting up on him. The cat was surprised to say the least. I was in awe of the sight. But on the other hand if it was a mountain lion, or a grizzly. Now that's a different story. Depending on where you are in this crazy world the conditions and situations can vary drastically. Who's to say what's the best way to do this or that. If you feel the need to arm for protection do it. If you are against it don't. I just like the quiet escape that the Hobie Mirage kayak provides. And love to fish and watch all the animals. Just remember in some places the kayak can be considered a plate from which to serve a snack to hungry animals. Without some type of weapon you are defensless. Against giant teeth and claws and creatures who can easily leap twenty feet after stalking you for an hour without your knowledge. Gators, no thanks there. I would not go to gator country and kayak. Especially not without some type of protection. And a shark or killer whale vs a kayak hors d'oeuvre. If you think about it there are some crazy places to go out there. I just think you need to be prepared best way you can if at all possible. What Great Adventures we can all get in to out there. Enjoy and be safe in this beautiful crazy world is what I say.

Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Let’s start by defining some inconvenient truths:....
etc etc by SedonaAI
Well said dude... would have been better for me if those words had come out of my own mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I kayak most every night. I leave after dark and sometimes stay out until the wee hours. I've always carried a Glock23 (.40 S&W). I put it in a plastic zip bag and then put that in a rollup watertight bag. I've carried it with me every night for years and it looks new.

The boat ramp I use is VERY remote and I was originally worried about someone hanging out there in middle of the night. I've only used it twice...both times to shoot very unfriendly snakes. It's like wearing a seat belt. You may never need it but it gives you a peace of mind just knowing it's an alternative.

I have a concealed carry license too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Let's see, where did we leave off at?
Source: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx

Even Ram-Mounts is getting into it. Though I would recommend CCW, where allowed.

ETA, As always, check your local laws and know what options you have for carry.
Here in Arizona, we have had Open Carry longer than I've been alive, and have just recently passed Constitutional CCW. No permit required, though I always suggest people have the training and exposure to the legal ramifications of firearm carry and use.

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry a sig sauer 1911-22, its full size 1911 but in 22lr its a fantastically accurate and intimidating looking firearm. No bears down here, but coyotes and bobcats, no major firepower needed.

Just always remember, when seconds matter the police are only minutes away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... =22+Magnum

This pistol is an American Made 22 semi auto pistol. It holds 30 shells.

Suggestions:

1 clip in gun with 22 mag hollow points
1 spare clip with shotgun pellets for snakes that might try to board without permission

22 mags are very powerful and until recently you could not get semi auto 22 mag weapons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

"And now I will respectfully bow out of this delightful conversation, as it is obvious no opinions will be changed on the matter, regardless of the facts.

Keith"
And never a truer word was spoken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like to go prepard if kayaking in a bad area............

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next