Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have searched, but i'm not seeing the answers i'm looking for, sorry if this is an 'old subject'.

i'm looking to upgrade our current 12V batteries in the PA boats. Tom Kirkman, i know you have a lot of experience with 12V systems in the hobie boats, so i'm looking for your input for sure. i am not installing motors, just running electronics and deck lighting, and occasionally a recirc pump for an offshore livewell.

i'd like to stay with a compact 12V, and not have a 20lb battery but i humbly ask everyone here what are your choices for 12V battery? i know everyone has great ideas about mounting, and i appreciate that, but what i really want to know is what battery you chose and why that particular model.

cheers
drew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a 12 v 7ah battery that is used for deer feeder. TSC Tractor has it for under 30 bucks. Not sure how much you need to run lights unless the lights are LED... Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use this. About the size of a bar of soap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-quality-Ne ... 1e6df8278f

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried a rechargeable lithium ion power tool battery?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also use a 7aH battery. I got it at an RV supply store. It's a sealed gel model that can't leak even if tipped over. Weighs about three pounds and is about 3x4x5". All I run is my fishfinder, but it has never come close to dying on me on all-day trips.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

windknot wrote:

What do you use this battery for? How long does it last? I am looking for a battery to run my Elite 5 fishfinder/GPS at least 6-8 hours.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyRaab wrote:
I also use a 7aH battery. I got it at an RV supply store. It's a sealed gel model that can't leak even if tipped over. Weighs about three pounds and is about 3x4x5". All I run is my fishfinder, but it has never come close to dying on me on all-day trips.

same here. lasts all morning and still got juice after 6 hrs on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

frnklwrnr wrote:
windknot wrote:

What do you use this battery for? How long does it last? I am looking for a battery to run my Elite 5 fishfinder/GPS at least 6-8 hours.

Thanks

I use it to power the FF only, namely Lowrance Mark 4 DSI. I put it on simulation mode and took 12 hr to kill it. It also took 12 hr to recharge. I just upgrade the FF to Elite 5 DSI. I understand it will draw more juice from the battery, I expect it would last a good 8 hr at least. I will do a draw down on the battery and give you my findings.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a 10AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery. My HB 597ci HD DI draws 615mA. Thus I should get roughly 16 hours out of my battery. Dividing the AH by the draw is fairly accurate here since the current draw is quite low. In the long days of summer I am sometimes out there for 12-14 hours so this size battery suits me well. I am not too worried about the weight. I weight 215lbs so even a "heavy" battery is a small increase in the overall load of the kayak.

To decide what size battery you want, you can find out how much current draw you need to support and how long you will be out. Fewer AH is less $$$. The other nice thing about an SLA is that is has a gradual discharge curve. I can check the voltage on my battery (from my FF) and know if I am getting low. Li-ion batteries are near full voltage right up until they fail. This is great for power tools, but I think less well suited for a FF application where they can operate at lower voltages before ceasing to work.

If you want to save weight get a Li-ion battery. If you want a less expensive and more robust option then I would recommend an SLA battery.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know I can't be the only one here with battery issues. I tried using the 7.5aH batteries that are so popular and even tried a 9aH battery. My Humminbird 587ci HD DI just draws too much power for long days on the water. During summertime fishing trips and especially during tournaments I find myself on the water for 10 hours or more at a time. My batteries usually hold the first couple trips but then they just won't keep my FF going for a full trip even after leaving the battery on charge for several days before going out.

I finally decided to do it right and things have been working well so far. The general rule of thumb when using these sealed AGM deep cycle batteries is that you shouldn't discharge them over 50% or you will start seeing a noticeable decrease in battery life over successive trips. If you run them down too low your battery charger will not be able to recharge them at all. I went to Batteries Plus and picked up a 12v 20aH battery and a 1.5a battery conditioner. At a current draw of .615 amp per hour my current battery can run my FF for around 16 hours without discharging my battery more than 50%. The 1.5 amp battery conditioner can recharge it back to full from that 50% level in about 6.5 hours. This means multi day tournaments are no problem and even if I had to make two trips before recharging I would be okay. The battery weights 13lbs which isn't too excessive and still fits in a dry bag stored in the center hatch of my PA14.

This setup was a little on the expensive side at about $130 but it sure beats having a dead FF/GPS when I need it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any reason you couldn't wire two of the Li-ion batts in parallel & get a ~20ah batt for $74? Maybe just make a little buss/bridge so you can plug each batt in separately or ganged depending on need?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I too have felt the pain of failing batteries. I, like many YAKERs use the 7.5 aH batteries. To solve the Low battery issue, I bought a Pelican case large enough to hold two 7.5 aH batteries. I made up a couple of "Inside the Box" wiring harnesses which allow me to run on single batteries with a spare, or run with 2 batteries in parallel.

I kept the Pelican case waterproof by using a PVC conduit connector filled with epoxy after running the cables through it.

I store the Pelican case behind the seat of my PA, (strapped in of course)

Note: I used close cell foam to line the case to ensure the batteries have a snug fit.

If anyone wants to see pics, send a message and I will email them to you.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!