Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thierry wrote:
...is it possible to store the cart upside down in the scupper holes behind the back seat?
You bet! Just make sure your version of the cart extends fully through the hull upside down if there is any pressure on it (note wheels on deck stop cart from dropping all the way).

Another way to store the cart is out the back:

Finally, you can store the wheels in the front hatch and strap the frame on in the cargo area. Lots of options. 8)

Quote:
Are there no rod holders for front person?
Here's that location I was talking about (the Oasis front seat rails are very similar to this Revo):

One of the drink holders is another good spot:
8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Now to answer the final performance question. Is the new Oasis any faster from the front seat then the back? Yes -- significantly!

Getting a .1 MPH gain in cruise speed with same boat, same fins, same rider same course under similar conditions -- is huge. I didn't get a .1 gain though, but a .26 MPH improvement (to 5.14 MPH fast cruise hour) -- WOW! Of course, this blows away the old Oasis as well for solo speed.

The stern was ballasted with 25 lb. of lead inside the stern hatch (note the spare ruder pin included inside the hatch lid):
The boat seemed to just glide through the water (relatively speaking). Steering from this position was sensitive (didn't notice it before) so frequent attention to the rudder was necessary. Otherwise, the front cockpit was a great pedaling station -- cozy, no protrusions from cleats (like the Revo) or bottle holders, totally fun. It's easy to forget that you're in a tandem at all.

The Hobie engineers obviously knew what they were doing when they added a front cockpit solo capability to this new hull design -- they really capitalized on the assets!

Most folks use their tandem kayak as a tandem only, but many would like the option to going out as a single without having to buy another kayak. This boat will do that and do it well! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot Roadrunner.

I have a conventional two seater kayak now but thinking of switching to Revo or any single seater mirage kayak since missus moving overseas for some time. Originally I wanted Oasis however now I am back to Oasis since i will be able to pedal in single and there are rod holders and etc improvements.

btw how much did you pay or what's the tag price? or any special?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 2011 Oasis runs about $2700 US.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent report on the improved and now fishable out of the box Oasis.

The dual steering is a great concept. I have thought about my wife being in the front of our new 2009 Oasis and if something happened to me back with the one steering knob. Or if I wanted her to control the yak while I fished, dozed off or went into a REM dream state like I do in my Lazy Boy.

However, many of our married friends have opted out of the tandem Mirages because they don't like their partner telling them what to do. The dual steering might be the beginning of more severe marital problems.

It is good that Hobie has enabled the 2011 Oasis to be fishable out of the box. Those of us, who flunked ship building, plastic reshaping/molding and general ocean going architecture appreciate this.

Love your broom handle to stand up concept. Hobie needs to buy out Freedom Hawk and use their stand up rail concept in the Sport and Outback and maybe as an extra in the new Oasis Tandem. My Fish Hawk 12 will arrive Monday. I will miss the Mirage's ease and capability, but I will enjoy pulling a rope to stand up and cast using the Freedom Hawk's system.

Last but not least, does Hobie weigh its yaks after they have inserted Helium Balloons?

My wife and I find it hard to believe that our Oasis without the Mirages, paddles and seats only weighs 69 pounds. A good sized Norse/Swede friend and his bigger brother took his new Revolution and Outback to our local river and had a great time until they tried to get the yaks back on the top of his Surburban at the end of the trip. If his good sized SIL hadn't been there to help, they would have failed.

My wife and I aren't frail seniors, and it takes both of us to turn over our Oasis without any gear in or on it on our trailer or off it.

Excellent report. We can recommend the 2011 Oasis to those without ship building skills, who want to fish from their kayak.

Roadrunner wrote:
Note: This is the second in a two part series. Here's the link to part I:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30980

Just when you think you have the perfect boat (and right after you get it all customized), Hobie comes along with the next edition. If you think the former Oasis is versatile, wait till you see what the 2011 version can do!

General characteristics: The new hull has a finer bow, broader stern and less rocker. consequently it runs quieter, drier and with less pounding. Speed is in the same ballpark, with the 2011 Oasis appearing to be a tad faster (I'll have better information soon). Handling and rudder control are responsive and very similar to previous models.

Longer cockpits are a welcome addition. Dual rudder controls are huge, allowing either partner to operate the boat without having to switch seats. The solo versatility is also very cool. Side mounted cockpit handles are well positioned and comfortable to grip.

Here are some side by side pics of the two boats running together. The '10 pictured here pushes much more water with the bow (both boats are sitting about equally in the water here):

Looking at the stern profiles, the lower rudder mount on the '10 is not as clean but the broader '11 pulls more stern wake:

Stability: This boat was built for stability. Whether Hobie intended this or not, the flat decks open up some new possibilities: While I'm not suggesting that anyone stand up in their kayak, the Pro Angler might see some competition here!

Need a little more stability for unseen wakes or mischievous partners? A broom handle inserted in the sail mast hole makes a great steady stick. (I'm sure Hobie doesn't endorse this one!)

Caution: If attempting to stand solo, make sure you're leashed to the boat. If you fall overboard, even light winds will carry it away quickly!

Tandem pedaling: This front passenger is getting her first Hobie ride -- her grin says it all!

The boat accelerates well without much stern squat:

Here's a profile view showing access to the rod holders from the rear cockpit:

Solo pedaling: What happens when your partner doesn't feel like kayaking? Do you sit at home or find something else to do? Not necessary at all! The new Oasis has excellent solo manners from either cockpit -- the secret is in proper ballasting.

Starting from the traditional rear seat, here is an unballasted profile: The bow is subject to windage, stability is slightly reduced (no big deal) and the shorter water line length limits speed.

Ballasting with 55 lbs. in the bow regains a very credible profile and decent performance.

Here's a cockpit view:

Next, lets go to the front seat. Without ballast the nose is a little heavy and the rudder is somewhat on the high side, but not too bad!

Adding 30 lb. in the cargo well balances the boat nicely.

Here's the view from the boat:

Some general comments about turning: The boat tends to pivot about the fins (when down). Soloing from the rear, steering is quick with the bow cutting in and stern swinging out mildly. From the front seat (again fins down), the stern swings wide, steering is not quite as quick. Tandem, the turn starts out slower; as momentum builds the turn accelerates. The boat spins quickest with rear fins down, front fins up. Fins-up turns are slower in all cases. Nevertheless, both Oases have a nice turn radius with the large rudder (standard since 2010).

Sailing: If you're expecting a competitive sailer here, you'll be disappointed. Under sail power alone, the Oasis is probably best described as leisurely, with good stability for a sailing kayak and good rudder control. Add some easy pedaling to the sail and you can scoot around pretty well, in any direction, with or without wind.

Criticisms: As skua said, this boat pretty much addressed the few shortcomings of the previous Oasis model. The only things that come to mind are 1) the front forward bungee screws sit in a drainage channel and appear to be unsealed through hull installations. I noticed when hosing off the boat this was a minor source of leakage into the hull. A little silicon should take care of it.

2) If paddling from the rear seat your hands might rub against the grips, depending on your stroke style.

Summary: What can I say to sum this up except to warn you that this boat can be addictive! Too late for me though. With clean lines, efficiently used space, tons of features, loads of versatility, gobs of capacity and delightful manners, I've fallen under its spell. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Grampa Spey wrote:
Last but not least, does Hobie weigh its yaks after they have inserted Helium Balloons?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, the listed weight is a bit if a misnomer. It's true insofar as it is the weight of the plastic that the boat is molded from. It's more of a "base" weight or reference weight though, not what you actually have to hoist! It does not include the additional weight of (literally) hundreds of installed parts. My Adventure for instance has about 200 parts adding just over 11 lbs. to it's listed weight (rudder system alone has about 44 parts). The new Oasis has about 15 net lb. of liftable parts added to that 69 lb of plastic. :shock:

Quote:
My wife and I find it hard to believe that our Oasis without the Mirages, paddles and seats only weighs 69 pounds. A good sized Norse/Swede friend and his bigger brother took his new Revolution and Outback to our local river and had a great time until they tried to get the yaks back on the top of his Surburban at the end of the trip. If his good sized SIL hadn't been there to help, they would have failed.

My wife and I aren't frail seniors, and it takes both of us to turn over our Oasis without any gear in or on it on our trailer or off it.
I'm not sure if it's the weight or just the bulky awkwardness of the kayaks that make them more difficult to handle than we expect. Handles in the right spots make a huge difference. Then too, leveraging the boat effectively can make life much easier as well. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Author Message
Roadrunner
Post subject: Re: Great Report on the new and improved Oasis

Grampa Spey wrote:

" Yes, the listed weight is a bit if a misnomer. It's true insofar as it is the weight of the plastic that the boat is molded from. It's more of a "base" weight or reference weight though, not what you actually have to hoist! It does not include the additional weight of (literally) hundreds of installed parts. My Adventure for instance has about 200 parts adding just over 11 lbs. to it's listed weight (rudder system alone has about 44 parts). The new Oasis has about 15 net lb. of liftable parts added to that 69 lb of plastic. "

I have rotator tears on my right shoulder and tore the bicep head on my upper right shoulder. Thanks to good PE, I'm okay until I try to lift heavy objects (something besides my empty hand) over my right shoulder. That is why we have a trailer for our Oasis.

However, I have a trick that I did with my sons while they were growing up, and now with my grandkids. I get 6 to 10 inches above them on a curb or steps and act like I am lifting them up by their ears, actually they grab my wrists and hold on while I lift them. They weight 70# something and 80# something. The 80# grandson is reaching the maximum for this stunt. I can still lift him several times (by his ears); however, it is very difficult for me to even flip the Oasis from its upside down position on the trailer's cross bars to a topside position. Of course he isn't 14'6" tall and laying horizontal on cross bars.

Thanks for clarifying one of the great mysteries of life :shock: re Hobie kayaks and their real weight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Some general comments about turning: The boat tends to pivot about the fins (when down). Soloing from the rear, steering is quick with the bow cutting in and stern swinging out mildly. From the front seat (again fins down), the stern swings wide, steering is not quite as quick. Tandem, the turn starts out slower; as momentum builds the turn accelerates. The boat spins quickest with rear fins down, front fins up. Fins-up turns are slower in all cases. Nevertheless, both Oases have a nice turn radius with the large rudder (standard since 2010)."

Since I found out how to adjust our rudder as posted before, our 09 Oasis has turned better.

After reading your great posts on the 2011 Oasis, I decided to try something different re turning based on your post.

Before, we both pedaled during a turn, and it wasn't bad.

This time I had my wife in the forward seat put her mirage in neutral and I started a right 360 on a lake with a little wind behind our back.

It was all most like spinning/turning on a dime. With very mild pedaling on my part, we did a 360 like a pin was in the water below her parked Mirages. I estimated the radius was about 1-2' longer than the yak. 180's in our Oasis were better than doing a 180 in my wife's Lexus.

Later during our cruise around the lake, we did several turns in some tight little coves with my wife putting her Mirages in neutral and me just pedaling and doing hard rights or lefts with the rudder control. This built up her confidence in the Oasis getting into tight situations and doing a 180 to get out. Before the improved turning, she didn't like to get into the tight coves. After a few good 180's, she started suggesting coves and tight turning areas to go into.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is quite a bump! I love this article. I keep debating between an outfitter and a 2011 Oasis. I am ready to buy but can't make up my mind. I will do 50% tandem fishing with my son fresh/salt, 25% cruising with wife and 25% solo in salt. I was set on the outfitter but this review and some other comments I have read might be changing my mind. I am curious about loading though. I am a young strong guy but broke many bones on my upper left side in a bad crash biking last summer. I need something easy to load because of some lingering shoulder damage. Is the oasis weight with all the goodies (ie. rudder etc.) close to the weight of an outfitter? It's so much longer I am thinking it may be harder to load on an suv. even with a slipstream etc. On paper they are only a few pounds apart. Any opinions on which would work for me is welcome. I'd buy one tomorrow if I could make up my mind! btw I am in New England near the coast of Mass and plan on fishing for stripers and freshwater bass. Thanks, Ed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:37 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

ecibis wrote:
I need something easy to load because of some lingering shoulder damage. Is the oasis weight with all the goodies (ie. rudder etc.) close to the weight of an outfitter? It's so much longer I am thinking it may be harder to load on an suv.
That's a common misconception. There was a gal on the KFS forum a couple of years ago who started with an Outback, moved to a Revolution and ultimately ended up with an Adventure (to keep pace with the guys in her fishing group). Her comment on loading was that the Adventure, being the longest (16') was the was the easiest. I agree. The longer boat can rest up against your SUV at a less radical angle so when lifting the back end, you're lifting a smaller share of the weight and the boat is also more stable in its position and in the lift.

There is an easy lifting technique that works great with a little practice.
1. Preposition a pad, carpet or rug behind your loading zone where you estimate the stern will rest.
2. Wheel the boat with the bow slightly ahead and next to the car/SUV/side load bar.
3. Lift the bow, dropping the stern on your rug (to avoid scratches) and set the bow on the back of your vehicle. The wheels can simply drop away.
4. Steady the boat as you walk back to the stern.
5. Lift the boat by the stern, sliding it up and forward.

The following pictures illustrates this sequence using the much heavier (and longer) Tandem Island:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

This is an excellent rear loading method that works well with almost any vehicle. It requires a receiver hitch and T bar. These are some examples:

As for your choice of boat, you'll have to make that decision -- they're both excellent boats. Handling them, I don't feel the slight difference in weight. In my experience, the Oasis is quite a bit faster (especially tandem), better in rough water and quieter running (less tendency for hull slap). It also has more loading options (hatches, deck space) and longer cockpits (especially in the front). On the other hand, a lot of folks like those trays on the Outfitter and the 4 (vs. 2) built-in rod holders. It's more compact length is an advantage for certain storage situations.

Good luck with your decision! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much Roadrunner! I will measure my storage space tonight and go with the Oasis if possible. It may seem a little long in some of my freshwater areas, but I think it will be better for me in the ocean and great points about loading a longer yak. I am thinking of the Thule Slipstream for the roofrack. i was looking at the Helluvator but I think it would actually be rough on the shoulder than the way you showed. Thanks again for the tips!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a yakima outdoors man rack for 75 bucks, put some pipe insulation on the cross bars. Hauls the Oasis really good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another big bump... Lots of great info - helpful review(s) on the new Oasis Roadrunner! I've read both parts.

Just today took the wife, one of the kids (29yr old) and self on our first test float of the Hobies. One on a Revo (me), and an Outfitter for the girls. Everyone had a good time of course, even the ladies didn't take long to get the hang of it. I liked the Revo a lot, stability was fine even for an old man in spite of what I've heard. Only one big gripe, kept hitting my leg on the water bottle, it's a tight cockpit, that and the steering seemed loose but the latter was just a (rental) maintenance issue.

I was trying to decide between the Revolution and the Outback for the first yak, but now the wife is hooked too and after your review I'm seriously considering the new Oasis.

Thanks... lol.

PS: Anyone in the Bay Area (CA) that wants to try out a Hobie for a few bucks, any model, the guys at Sunrise Mountain Sports, Livermore, CA can hook you up at Lake Del Valle just outside of Livermore. They have everything you need to get on the water and were helpful and easy to deal with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
I'm thinking of putting a scotty flush mount in the same area that you put in your Ram mounts (front seat, just forward of the up and down rudder cable pulls). Was it easy to put your mounts in without interfering with the cables?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Alaskan, thanks for the comment. What did you end up getting?

Pags, it may have been scfa's Oasis you were thinking of. See if this is it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38446&p=156997#p156997 . He would be the best person to ask.

In general, this is a good mounting surface. Just be careful drilling to avoid the up/down rudder lines (or pull them out of the way). If the lines contact any screws or threads, you can cap them with rubber tubing to prevent fraying. 8)