Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging (Pin Shackles)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rigging (Pin Shackles)

This is probably old stuff to most but to those who have not used a shackle with a threaded pin there is a procedure to secure your equipment. A lot of posts I’ve seen don’t have the pin secured but it may be a temporary setup for demonstration. :shock:

Screw pin shackles should only be finger-tight and a mouse (safety) wire should be installed from the pin eye through the shackle body to prevent the pin from backing out especially on anchors. For marine purposes the wire should be stainless steel. When it’s undesirable to have safety wire exposed you can substitute a wire tie. When temporally setting a shackle it is not necessary to secure the pin. :idea:

Note: The safety wire pig tail has been left out for demonstration but is normally tucked in.

Last edited by OffRoad on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great advise -- Thanks! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep OR--that is the way we used to secure a shackle pin in the Navy--with a short length of wire. However, no one had ever head of stainless wire back in those days, so we used whatever we could find. However, for yaks, I don't bother, since a quarter turn on the pin with a pair of pliers works just as well. Besides, some of the 1 inch shackles lack a hole thru the end of the pin so that makes it moot anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ya know what you mean, I also have some cheap foreign stainless steel threaded pin shackles that don’t have eyes, but I don’t use them. There are some special use (temporary connection) shackles without eyes like the captive halyard shackle but I never read a manufactures spec sheet that used pliers on them.

By using pliers you are weakening the design structural strength of the shackle (reducing its capacity) which in most cases is probably mute due to application. Stainless steel is easy to strip the threads of when over torque. Steel one once rusted are too hard to remove.

You can use keypin locking shackles if you don’t wish to use threaded pin shackles. They require no extra securing.

Apalach I’m not telling you how to use your shackles I am trying to give an informed view to those who wish to use them properly so they don’t lose what the shackle is hooked to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep OR--I hear ya. But for the light weight use we put shackles to in a yak, I have no fear of ever either exceding their weight limit or stripping a pin in a SS shackle--it just ain't gonna happen IMHO. I mean SS is very tough stuff, and if I ever jammed, or stripped a pin in a SS shackle with a pair of measly pliers, I would have to consider seriously backing off on my weights at the gym! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Unless the shackle is to be removed regularly, a drop of Locktite will keep the pin from backing out.