Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just moved to our new home on the Coosa River in Alabama. The wife and I have bicycled for years and eventually bought a Tandem bike so we could enjoy that sport together. I tend to get stronger and faster - one thing about the tandem is whenever I looked back she was still there!

I've talked with one sales rep - seemed knowledgeable - and he said if you will often use the yak alone, don't do the tandem. A tandem bike can be ridden alone also but it's not fun so I sort of understand. I'm leaning against the idea of the tandem unless someone contradicts and tells me that there's not a lot of downside to a tandem with single pedaler.

So I'm leaning toward the Outback, (or Adventurer???), but still want to be able to enjoy the sport with my wife. If I get two Outbacks, we're probably back to where I'll be waiting on her a lot of the time although I wonder if it's possible to give a tow assist to a slower yak ove a calm river and a few miles? Would that work?

I have a boat hoist platform so water entry should be pretty easy. Is the Outback stable enough to step into from a dock? These are a lot of newbie questions, I know.

Help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi alexcomp :lol:

You do realize that the Mirage Tandem is shorter than the Adventure. I know people who wanted the extra carrying capacity so they solo it.

Then you have the Outfitter which is a two person 12’8â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When my wife goes, she likes to go together, so we have a Tandem. Unlike the tandem bicycle, she gets to sit in front! That way I can never leave her behind and she likes it that way. When my wife doesn't go, I have taken the Tandem out with a (small) weight in the bow and that also works fine. But I also have a Classic and an Adventure and usually take one of those out. Lately, it's been the Adventure.

Other issues: My wife gets wet when I paddle the Tandem, and since she has a tendency to melt, I can only pedal when she's aboard. The singles are easier to handle if you're going alone. The Outback has lots of trays and equipment-mounting spots if you like to fish. The Adventure is faster and cuts through nasty weather easier -- will take you greater distances. It also has the largest solo weight capacity. It also is designed for sailing (daggerboard well and larger rudder available), and tracks the best for paddling. The Classic and Sport are pretty manuverable in tight spots (no experience with the Outback). The Sport is the most weight-limited (185 lb.) Any of the others can also sail except the Classic.

You can always start out with the Tandem and go from there! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been a cyclist for years and never seen why anyone would want a tandem. You can't race each other home to see who's going to make dinner.
Get two boats and start your own private navy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you get an Adventure and an Outback, your wife could use the Adventure (with the speed advantage) to make things more even. When you go out on your own, you'd have a nice choice, depending on your activities.

Or, if you get matching kayaks, you could attach a "sea anchor" to yours, so you would get a great workout trying to keep up with your wife! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The wife and I took a demo ride this morning. Enjoyed it greatly and think we're on the right track.

The model we drove was a 2004 Outback and having never Kayaked I did get wet once but the learning curve was fairly rapid.

More questions obviously.

She who must be obeyed says she wants her own boat so tandem no longer under consideration. The question now is two outbacks or one outback and one adventure with possibility of a closeout price on two of the 04 outbacks, (sitting at 2400 the pair right now with a suspicion it could go lower).

I'm heavy weighing at 250 right now but aspirations to get down to the 220's. Shop owner said I might be at the upper limit of what's comfortable in the Outback. Is the Adventure more stable for a heavier pilot with its' extra length or is the Outback better because of more width?

I'm tending toward one of each to have the fishing and rodholding capability with the Outback and speed with the Adventure when fishing not an issue. I tend to go for the newer model year whenever possible although this will probably cost $800 to $900 more, (two 04 OB's vs 1 06 OB plus 1 06 Adv)

I also suspect there have been changes with the 06 Outback over the 04 model and wonder if someone could tell me what they are and are they worth having?

I'll be ordering something the first of the week so would appreciate lots of input. I'll also post this as a new topic to get max exposure. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,

I have the '06 outback SUV and weigh 240+. No problems. I haven't loaded it down yet but it feels pretty stable.

I can get in it from a dock whose platform is about 10 inches about the top of the boat. I usually water dismount so I can cool off anyway. I have gotten out of the outback back onto the dock but that is tricker than getting in.

Let us know what you went with.

DaddyOh
8)

Post subject: What we went with
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bought an Adventure for me and an Outback for her.....

Enjoying them thoroughly but I dislike the slap slap of the Outback - it's much noiser than the Adventure.