Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arizona flat water
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone done much boating in Arizona? Prescott area? It's not a state I think of associated with water. (Should I have said that:)!! Thanks for any info

Post subject: Re: Arizona flat water
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

And yet, I think there is more paddling here than a lot of places out west! And sure you should say it, you pushed me to come out of lurking and make my first post! Hi all, and thank you for teaching me some new and interesting things about these fantastic products!

That being said, AZ has a lot of water, and all of it varied and interesting. Of course, some complain that most of it is man made, and they are right that it did damage the natural environment, but it's here, we might as well paddle it now, right? Hobies seem particularly well suited too since much of it is flat water. Around Prescott in particular, there isn't too much, but Watson and Willow Lakes are both right there and fairly pretty. The whole Granite Dells area is rather scenic.

Of course if you don't mind driving an hour or two, you also have Lake Pleasant to the south with quite a lot of paddle based exploring to do, Horse Shoe and Bartlet are also some desert paddling options as well. To the North, you have number of smaller lakes (Mary, Mormon, and a couple of other's who's names I can't recall right now) in the pines between Prescott and Flagstaff. If you are willing to drive a bit further, there's Saguaro Lake, Canyon, Apache, Roosevelt, the lower Salt River and several different options along the Colorado are also slow current/flat water type situations. I have also paddled on Lake Havasu, parts of the Gila, and of course getting further still (about 3-4 hours out), you have the big reservoirs, Lake Powell, Lake Mead and Lake Mojave. If you want some salt water paddling, the Cali coast is 5 hours or so away, as is the beaches and estuaries of Puerto Peñasco, Mexico on the Sea of Cortes. Most of these I have paddled at one time or the other, and all can be fantastic depending on the time of year, what type of scenery you are after, and how much you want to push yourself. While Phoenix is a little more ideal (as in a little more centralized to it all), Prescott is certainly a fine based too and not that far away from good paddling!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not in the Prescott area, but further north....A LOT :D Az has the best lakes in the nation, especially Powell :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, thank you, thank you. I live where there's about two months of summer and I'm OVER IT! Arizona just seemed like a place worth considering.... your feedback was invaluable. Thanks for "coming out" (of your lurking:) -- just what I needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi lula,

You should be able to find this book at most outfitter stores near you, I know they're carried at both REIs in PHX and Canyon Outfitters in Sedona:

http://www.amazon.com/Paddling-Arizona- ... 0966491947

This is the most extensive and knowledgable single resource for kayaking AZ you could hope for! (next to the Hobie Forums... :oops: )

Send a PM if you want to get together and do Lynx Lake, it's been on my list for a while now... 8)

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lula wrote:
I live where there's about two months of summer and I'm OVER IT! Arizona just seemed like a place worth considering....

Hmm... well in my part of AZ (Phoenix), you will get exactly the opposite: two months that aren't summer! No, I actually think that AZ is a fantastic place for all things outdoors. There aren't many other states that offer flat water to class 5 paddling, hiking in low deserts to deep forests to sub-alpine tundra, canyoneering of the highest order, caving, skiing, more mountain bike trails then one could ride in a life time, several world wide known natural attractions, and easy weekend trips to the one environment we don't have (beach front), it is one of the better outdoor/explorers locations, at least out of the 19 or so states I have visited so far. Come on down, and feel free to ask me anything else you might care to know about AZ. In a past life I was responsible for helping a great many people move in. While I might be working on setting up an adventure tours company in AZ now, I still maintain most of those contacts. Feel free to e-mail or call me any time!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well thanks again to all!! Please tell me why anyone would waddle around on facebook when there's places like this forum for real 'social networking' :)???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We paddle all over Arizona. Our group has a trip scheduled almost every weekend. We will be at Watson Lake in April. Come join us:

http://www.meetup.com/Desert-Mountain-Paddlers/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for April invite... I don't think I'll be there quite that early, however one never knows. Any of you familiar with rental situation in Prescott? Or paddling friends with local info? Gratitude to all.... if you need to know how to survive in -15 degrees (today's waking temp:( let me know:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

lula wrote:
Thanks for April invite... I don't think I'll be there quite that early, however one never knows. Any of you familiar with rental situation in Prescott? Or paddling friends with local info? Gratitude to all.... if you need to know how to survive in -15 degrees (today's waking temp:( let me know:)

One option for Prescott area rentals:
http://www.prescottoutdoors.com/index.html