Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Living in California, we are spoiled in most areas re having to put up with cold water/weather with the exception of Dec-Feb.

However, when the water temps get 50 degrees or below, we woosies have to do things different versus spring/summer/fall

My wife was the first to complain last fall about getting her feet wet and cold. So we bought her pair of Kokatat Tempest Pants with Socks or KTPS:
http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp

They enabled her to wade to help launch/land our Oasis without getting wet and cold. She never got too cold nor hot in our trips up to November.

I was so impressed with her ease of getting the KTPS off and on, I bought myself a pair for our Oasis and my fishing yak to wear instead of my various Gore Tex waders.

Fortunately, we did some pre planning and realized that with shoes or boots that fit over the pants/socks, we couldn't get our feet into the Mirage Straps.

Somewhere I had read to take the straps off to accomodate big sandles/boots. We did that and had no problem after a few pedal turns re keeping our feet on the pedals. We wear Smart Wool socks, and our feet stay warm and yet not hot. We may not put the straps back on this spring as it is very easy to use the pedals without straps.

Due to the breathability, my wife puts on her KTPS at home and rides the 20-30 minutes in our truck to and from the launch sites. I don't because my boots are too big for my truck's brake and gas pedal.

Neophrene booties don't work with these pants. We use plain jane wading sandles on the large size, or I use my fly fishing wading boots.

My KTPS are so easy to get in and out of, I use them on our local river to fly fish with simple wading under 2-2.5' deep with my wading boots. I will be using my KTPS to fly fish/fish the ocean surf this year.

The KTPS pants cost about $165. That is a lot less than a wet suit or dry suit, which we don't need.

How much are warm feet and butts worth on cold days while Kayaking?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Grandpa, regarding wading sandals, do you have a link where you can buy these online. I will be wearing my breathable waders this winter while fishing the North Central Plateau, (NZ), lakes. It can get pretty cold and the sandals sound good, (my wading boots have studs so don't want to wear them on the yak). Also how do you deal with flyline with the mirage drive to avoid tangles? I was thinking of using a plastic basket as a stripping basket.

I have just joined the grandpa club, we're off down country tonight to have our first real, as opposed to digital, look at the little fella. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

charlief wrote:
Hi Grandpa, regarding wading sandals, do you have a link where you can buy these online. I will be wearing my breathable waders this winter while fishing the North Central Plateau, (NZ), lakes. It can get pretty cold and the sandals sound good, (my wading boots have studs so don't want to wear them on the yak). Also how do you deal with flyline with the mirage drive to avoid tangles? I was thinking of using a plastic basket as a stripping basket.

I have just joined the grandpa club, we're off down country tonight to have our first real, as opposed to digital, look at the little fella. :D

We took our new Kayak pants into our local Big 5 store, sat down and put the pants on and tried various wading sandals. My wife preferred the Coleman and I preferred the Columbia brand. I would be leary of ordering them without trying them with yak pants.

You might consider buying pair of Korkers fly fishing wading boots with the Boa easy on off dial and the interchangeable soles. I use the super gripper rubber soles with our Oasis and my fishing yak when I wear waders and may try them with my new Yak pants. Besure to get the Korkers in at least a 1.5 larger sized.

http://www.korkers.com/technology/?p=omnitrax

Nothing really works so far re keep flylines out of the Mirages which is why I went a standup flyfishing Yak. I Spey and Switch cast and can have 30-90' of flyline or shooting line to tend to on each cast and retrival. With Mirages at my feet, that becomes an impossible task.

I will be getting a new Wm Joseph Flyline basket. Someone nicked mine at an event. This basket folds down when not in use and can be rotated to the side. The belt is like an extra safety belt while wading. It may work.

In the meantime, I have crossed back over to the darkside and have new casting rods/reels/lines and new spinning gear. I getting them lined up and have been practing on grass, standing and sitting while casting.

Re Grandchildren. They are the greatests.

My wife and I see our Grandkids as God's gift for not killing their Dad while he was a teenager. :mrgreen: