Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone. I'm on my third Outback Mirage Fisherman hull now, and this one was replaced only as a pro-rated hull after I had it only for one year (that is, it wasn't considered to be under warranty). The first two hulls both developed cracks at the front of the drive well. I'm wondering now whether there is something I am doing in transporting the kayak, or using it, that contributes to the drive well cracking. I really want to avoid that with this one, since even if I replace it I must go without fishing for several weeks. I absolutely LOVE this boat for fishing -- it's the greatest. I'm careful when using it, never drag it across rocks or slam it around. Sometimes the water is a bit rough but I don't go out if it's too bad. I transport it on a Thule rack, upside down and strapped across the middle where it sits on the rack plus with front and rear tie-downs.

Any and all constructive suggestions are appreciated. I really want to get plenty of use out of this one.

Thanks!

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Some fishermen keep both feet on the pedals while fishing, even when not actively using the Drive. It's easy to get a little excited and press both feet against the pedals at the same time. According to Matt Miller, this can generate a lot of pressure and facilitate a cracked drivewell. So if you're not using the Drive while fishing, make sure your feet are off the pedals.

You can possibly reinforce the nose of the drivewell by applying some 3M Scotchweld 8010 NS. The 8010 bonds well with Polyethylene and the NS adds structure or body. It's not the cheapest or easiest to use but I've had great luck with it to reinforce the old cam column models. You can use the forum search feature to find tips on using it. 8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

isn't there a Hobie drivewell fiberglass reinforcing kit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Admin

dwest wrote:
isn't there a Hobie drivewell fiberglass reinforcing kit?

Only for older models. Newer boats are not experiencing the same issues as were ones from earlier 2000's.

Changes to the forward end of the well by adding a brass insert to take some load... changes from knobs to click-n-go... refinement of processes... all adding up to many less failures these days. But of course, we have LOT of boats out there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I reinforced my cam columns in hope of preventing drive well cracks. i used electrical conduit pipe (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long) that was cut in half that went around the columns. i put some dp8010ns on columns before putting pipe and then some more dp8010 on top of pipe. i reinforced my cart scupper and seat holes as well. i saw a post on this a couple of years ago. i just added the pipe to my approach. make sure you use ns (non sag). you don't need the application gun. just use a dowel. very strong and good peice of mind....

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... NRXXH7SNbl