Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As I spent my firs t couple of hours on the water with my Adventure, I struggled when using the stock Hobie kayak paddle. As a canoe guy I found myself shifting my grip to get more shaft length on most strokes to lean forward, plant, get a more vertical blade entry into the water, upper hand directly over lower, and pull from core, type stroke.

I assume there is a better and more powerful technique that let's you lock in your grip. Maybe a set of torso positions out over the the stroke side of the boat? Maybe I need some help dialing the most appropriate paddle length?

Anyway, what says the collected wisdom of the community?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:56 pm 
Hobie Team Member

What's a paddle? :shock:

Post subject: Drew, I'm shocked.
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Drew, I’m shocked.

Second only to the several hours you should devote to studying your pfd’s buckles, belts, pockets, zippers, mesh, and floation, your Hobie-supplied paddle deserves respect as your best emergency friend on the water. Useful for fishing out hats that have blown into the water, retrieving lines that have untied themselves from your kayak, saluting power boats and jet skis that insist on doing 40-mile-an-hour ten-feet-away passes to admire your previously invisible boat, and a thousand and one other uses known to any experienced kayaker. [Crew (aka darn cat) chimes in that paddle blade edges are superior self-activated chin and muzzle scratching equipment when you cannot get your human’s proper attention, ]

On rare occasions actual paddling, that is, use of the paddle to propel the kayak, should be done to salute our distant ancestors and their primitive ways of getting around. When doing so it is only respectful to use good technique in the interests of historical accuracy and to teach those around us just how clever the old fogies were given all their limitations.

It is this vein, in the spirit of respect for our kayak heritage and purely for scientific study, that I asked my questions. I expect, no the topic demands and deserves, relevant and scholarly responses.

Let us bow our heads and observe a moment of silence for all those who have gone before us and, in the understandable ignorance of the day, proudly proclaimed – “Ich bin ein good paddler.â€