Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish Finder Battery box
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Inherited an older model Eagle Fish ID 128 new in box. Should hopefully do the trick until I buy a better model.
Probably goop it into the hull of my Revo.
Rather than go the lead acid motorcycle battery route I think I am going to try and find a watertite battery box with leads and use rechargable AA batteries. Does anyone know where to source one of these, preferably in Canada, don't imagine I could find one here in Nova Scotia. Love to see pics of units like this.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a plastic airtight lunchbox with a clip down lid. I lined it with squishy foam rubber to hold the battery tight and filed a semicircular notch into the bottom and lid to make a nearly water tight circular channel to run the power cable through.

This has served me well for many years - it was as cheap as chips and the battery has never got wet even during capsizes.

I place the box inside the hull under the seat on a bit of that non-slip mat that you can get to stop plates sliding about in boats. The power and transducer cables go through a hole in the "deck" of the boat that is sealed with silicon to the Fishfinder unit mounted on a ramball mount in the RHS cup holder of my Adventure.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stobbo,
Thanks, what type of battery is it and how do you charge it?
Shawn

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you looked at the Pelican cases? http://www.pelican-case.com/ Great waterproof case but do cost $$. Also at Walmart they have these cases very cheep http://blackdogkayaks.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1200370102

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks,
The case isn't so much a problem as the wiring for 8 AA batteries inside....

I mean I'm sure I could fudge something together, but I was wondering if there was something prebuilt?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a 12v 7 Amp Hour (I think) lead acid battery that I can pick up from my local electronics store (no point in mentioning the store name cos there probably won't be a branch in Nova Scotia).

There are several different sizes available which have different Amp Hour ratings.

The one I use is exactly the same one as powers my domestic alarm system. I recharge it with a bog-standard cary battery charger. Nothing fancy.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have a cabelas battery. perfect for yak fishing. it's about $20. I have it in a plano utility box. fits great. i put a few pieces of form so it stays put. fuse is inside box. it's connected with trailer quick connects. one attached to ducer and other one in box. when fixing i fish, i put plano battery box inside a coors soft cooler. perfect for the salt. everything is protected. i do store a few safety items in cooler too.