Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage drive adjustment.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed my friends new mirage drive is very easy to peddle. Mine is 4 weeks old and real tight. I loosened the cables a bit and its better. Is that the only thing I can do to adjust a pretty new drive? I use maclube on it after I clean it. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My drive unit was pretty stiff last spring when I first got it. It loosened up on its own. Once in a while I spray it with WD40. I would think you'd have to retighten the unit eventually if you loosened something. I think simple use breaks the unit in pretty quick. Mine feels real good to me now, no adjustments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just find it strange that everyone that I try is real easy. The new ones in the store feels better. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Post subject: drive maintenance
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:? Hey Y'all
I dont know if the drives on our tandem are tight or loose but they seem to operate just fine. I did realize, after our first few weeks of use, that fine and coarse grains of rock, sand,shells and mud would seem to get stuffed into the chains and fin guard housings, while folded up against the hull during beachings. When returning to the water and trying to pedal out, sometimes the pedal mechanism would stick and or there would be frequent crunching or grinding noises. Since this discovery, we have tried not to drag the thing up on the beaches and instead have been lifting it up and setting it down on the beach whenever possible so as not to pack bigger wads of dirt deeper into the drive units. When we get back I have been hosing , cleaning and relubricating both drives after each use. While hosing the drives I also articulate and inspect both units for awhile to further loosen and remove any of the stubborn pieces of rock grit and sand that always seem to get lodged deep into the works. After all the cleaning is done I lube all chains and any pivoting and moving surfaces with Aervove #937 Tef-Lube spray with PTFE (teflon?) The drives feel silky smooth after that process and then I wipe up any excess drips and runs. Finally I finish it all up by spraying those same areas moderately with Aervoe #933 food grade lube grease spray to seal it all in. Its a non-melting waterproof grease with PTFE thats designed to seal out water and resist chemical attack under extreme pressures and forms a tough durable film of lubrication that prevents metal to metal contact. Its used in food processing plant equipment on slides, guides, and chains etc to keep things running smoothly. I wont spray it on my breakfast toast in the morning but I think its a fairly "Green" lubricating product that wont foul up the water as much as automotive grease might. So far that has been my method of keeping things going and I think It has worked pretty well up to this point.
Have fun out there..
8) -kepnutz-