Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok, my outback is leaning to the right side and when i was marking the line to cut for the rectangular hatch i notice that the inside is not even left side is lower then right side that explain the leaning problem, good i did not cut it and now i have to take to the dealer where i bought it for a warranty...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Admin

They all come from the same molds, so likely that is distorted from storage or shipping. Hard to say, but have the dealer take a look.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Turb0 wrote:
MadCowMuu wrote:
I have seen this in my 2013 Outback with the Hobie seat in it, about 3/4 to a inch lean to the right.

Moving a little to the left and it would go away. Never could figure out if it was the way i was sitting in it or the Outback itself, after putting the Jackson elite seat in it went away. Must have been me.

Was the Jackson Elite seat a straightforward swap or did you need to modify a few things? Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Turb0,

Here's a link to my Jackson Seat install on my 2013 Outback:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53474

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
They all come from the same molds, so likely that is distorted from storage or shipping. Hard to say, but have the dealer take a look.

The dealer which is ACK put a claim for it and still waiting, they saw it is a notice leaning problem becouse of that.. i'm traying to put some pics of the hull where the problem is and you will see...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cindygabe wrote:
mmiller wrote:

The dealer which is ACK put a claim for it and still waiting, they saw it is a notice leaning problem becouse of that.. i'm traying to put some pics of the hull where the problem is and you will see...

left side
right side
difference between each side
here both side are the same
right side on top
left side on top

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:04 am 
Site Admin

I'm not surprised that they are not exact for several reasons.

These are all hand shaped products.
The cockpit areas were all modified for the new seat and could be slightly different due to that.
They can vary simply from cooling and storage.

How does that make it tilt though?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

The cockpit areas were all modified for the new seat and could be slightly different due to that.

this problem is since brand new, the new seat jackson seat i just put it on never tested or drilled any hole or my sit on the new seat nothing is modified, i stored the kayak in the correct manner and don't even have a sigle scratch, of course it tilt if the right side is different of the left side inside the hull, is a defect hull...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cindygabe wrote:
mmiller wrote:

this problem is since brand new, the new seat jackson seat i just put it on never tested or drilled any hole or my sit on the new seat nothing is modified, i stored the kayak in the correct manner and don't even have a sigle scratch, of course it tilt if the right side is different of the left side inside the hull, is a defect hull...

Here is the hand draw that i just did showing where is the problem or defect... X on both sides are same, Y is different, is pretty simple and i'm sure you understand now what i talking about...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 am 
Site Admin

As I noted... they all come from the same molds so is anyone else having this issue? This model has been on the market (with the same bottom shape) for many years. Still most likely is some compression on the hull. Could easily have been from transit or warehouse storage.

Just for background info... How old is the boat now? Serial number?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
As I noted... they all come from the same molds so is anyone else having this issue? This model has been on the market (with the same bottom shape) for many years. Still most likely is some compression on the hull. Could easily have been from transit or warehouse storage.

year is 2014 serial number: USHCCTD266K314, i only used like 5 times total...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I actually had this issue this past weekend fishing palos verdes.. Did not notice it till buddy mentioned it to me.. My kayak was one of the first 2015 sold to the dealer in OC... Now I am not sure as the current and surface was blowing onshore and could be due to that but next time I will actually test with a leveler.. So enjoying the new seat that everything else doesn't seem to concern me.. Will drop it at dealer to look at it when fishing slows down..

My only other minor issue is livewell drainage is flooding the back of kayak causing it to sit below water at times.. Need to figure out a way to add a hose in order to drain into the scupper hole instead of the kayak..

mmiller wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

2 weeks and still waiting for hobie to do the warranty on my outback...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Lazyfish1 wrote:
I actually had this issue this past weekend fishing Palos Verdes.. Did not notice it till buddy mentioned it to me.. My kayak was one of the first 2015 sold to the dealer in OC... Now I am not sure as the current and surface was blowing onshore and could be due to that but next time I will actually test with a leveler.. So enjoying the new seat that everything else doesn't seem to concern me.. Will drop it at dealer to look at it when fishing slows down..

Simply placing a level on the rails while the boat sits in the water is not a valid test. The hulls all have some asymmetrical hardware and features that could cause it to lean a little is a static setting. Scooting your butt a half inch to one side or the other will have a dramatic effect on leaning to one side or the other.

This is the most popular model we sell (for many years now) and the issue has rarely been raised on any model... let alone this model.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

cindygabe wrote:

Update: Hobie warranty staff tells me they were contacted by ACK about a hull such as your a few weeks ago. I can only assume it was your boat. After contacting Hobie Warranty, The hull was reviewed by ACK, in the water, and all was found to be normal. They tell me that no claim was placed.

Contact ACK to review.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
cindygabe wrote:

Update: Hobie warranty staff tells me they were contacted by ACK about a hull such as your a few weeks ago. I can only assume it was your boat. After contacting Hobie Warranty, The hull was reviewed by ACK, in the water, and all was found to be normal. They tell me that no claim was placed.

Contact ACK to review.

Thanks for this info, i will contact ACK right away becouse they told me that the claim was placed so someone is doing something wrong... thanks again...