Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revolution 16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to kayaking and to Hobie but finally after a 4moth wait my boat has arrived.
A 2015 red hibiscus revolution 16
So excited to get out tomorrow and do some sea trials!

Post subject: Re: Revolution 16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We're thinking seriously about a 2015 Revo 16 this spring...any comments yet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new boat PC.
I'm very interested to hear how it all goes as I'm thinking of getting one myself. When you're out on the water could you check if water is still being funnelled by the side handles into the seat area? Any chop that hits the side near the handle used to end up in the seatwell.
I'm hoping the problem has been fixed in the hull upgrade/ rebadging.
Did you get the sail as well? I'm keen to know how the new seats handle hiking/leaning out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since this is roughly the same boat as the AI prior to the 2015 model, I can tell you that it's a fast boat - probably the fastest in the Mirage Drive line. At least if we're talking about pedaling or paddling it. I doubt you'll get up the kind of speed necessary to worry about the handles scooping water into your seat - that sort of thing required the speed that sailing delivered. In most cases, anyway.

It's sleek, quiet, surprisingly fast and a nice platform to fish from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
At least if we're talking about pedaling or paddling it. I doubt you'll get up the kind of speed necessary to worry about the handles scooping water into your seat - that sort of thing required the speed that sailing delivered. In most cases, anyway.

Any sort of chop (>about half hull height) that hits the hull is funnelled in as well. On my first trip just paddling in my '11 hull with the side handles I ended up sitting in a puddle and it had nothing to do with speed. I had done that same trip/ with same conditions hundreds of times in my '08, then '09 hull with no handles and would remain dry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ive only used our new Revo 16 once, this past weekend, its an 2014 AI 16, under sail. I have not used it as a yak yet.
I will say, that under sail, the bungeed cargo well behind the seat stayed full of water the whole time, and kinda freaked me out. I weigh 260, and was sitting pretty low in the water. I didnt mind the splash and spray, that I expected. had a nice 10-12mph wind. Was a great introduction to the AI/revo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took delivery of my 2015 Revo 16 the week before last. I finally got it in the water for the first time last Friday. I chose a local bayou and had a great time with it. I did find it a little tippy at first, even with the seat in it's lowest position, but I'm also inexperienced and it got better as I spent time in the boat. I spent about 1.5 hours with it. I definitely need to get in better shape for longer runs, which is one of the reasons I bought the boat in the first place, and that will come with time.

As for how well it moves? I'd say it moves pretty good although I don't have any base for comparison yet. I was gliding by the shore at what felt like a crisp rate with a moderate cadence on the pedals that wasn't particularly stressing. I did option the ST turbo fins on it. I'm looking forward to building up my endurance on it and taking some longer runs but I will stick with protected waters for a while yet. Besides, I'm more likely to see the wildlife what way. I got a good look at an Osprey eating breakfast on this run!

Safe boating!
Steve R.

Post subject: deleted
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

deleted

Last edited by minglett on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a question for Matt. Why did Hobie opt to remove the left side molded-in paddle rests on all 2015 Mirage kayaks?
With all the other positive upgrades to me this is a downgrade.

I purchased a 2015 Revo 13 last year; it was the first one that came into my dealer. I also special ordered a Revo 16, which I just received. I also own a 2013 Revo 13.

Like many others I use these kayaks for a fishing in addition to recreation. Most people are right-handed and cast to their left so as to leave their left hand available to land fish. With paddle mounts only on the right side, an anchor trolley line can only be mounted to the left side of the boat. That means having to reel fish in across the stretched out trolley line.

So now I have to cast and reel-in to the right which to me feels unnatural and I have to switch the pole to my left hand so I can reach out with my right hand to land the fish.

Also it was nice to have paddle mounts on both side because I could stow the sail and paddle both, now I can't

You may feel that I am being nit-picky but I don't think so and I really would like to know why Hobie eliminated the left paddle mounts after all the years of them being there. I think Hobie made a real big mistake in doing this.

Otherwise, I am thrilled with the 2015 models, and real happy that the daggerboard slot was kept on the Revo 16.

I do have another question. Can the pre 2015 Hobie AI conversion kit be added to the 2015 Revo 16?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Steering.

The enlarged seat area required moving the steering handle and it then would hit a paddle if stored there.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

minglett wrote:

I do have another question. Can the pre 2015 Hobie AI conversion kit be added to the 2015 Revo 16?

No - this is not possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Found this review for the 2015 Revo 16...this guy might be a Hobie sales rep, if he's not, he should be. Excellent write up with good modifications for anglers on his older 16.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... ostcount=1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Smith wrote:
Found this review for the 2015 Revo 16...this guy might be a Hobie sales rep, if he's not, he should be. Excellent write up with good modifications for anglers on his older 16.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... ostcount=1

It was a good review, he must work for that shop he mentioned, that or he really loves his Adventure!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great review. Thanks for posting that link Smith!
And thanks Hobie (and Matt especially for relaying our concerns about dropping it) for keeping the daggerboard slot. I was so pleased to see it still there. 8)

It's not showing on the website feature list.

Now I've just got to wait for it to arrive downunder.

PS - Matt, is the published hull weight up to date and accurate?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As more info comes through on the changes to the Revo16 they sound very positive and worthwhile.

What I have yet to hear is how comfortable the new seat is when hiking out while sailing?

Any info from you lucky ones who have the new Revo16 and have sailed it would be greatly appreciated.