Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi guys, I'm Dan, and I'm from Costa Rica a small country in Central America, I'm about o purchase my first kayak, a Revo.

I was wondering if you could share some times or tricks you have learned over the year that you wish you knew when you first started with this hobbie? I'll be using my kayak for fishing in the ocean probably not too far from shore, mostly using lures and not bait.

I have only been out kayaking once in my life, I liked it but I was not well prepared so I had a tough time (needed more water and maybe a snack).

Thanks in advance, your help is appreciated
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan,

A lot will depend on what type of fishing you are planning on. I can say here in South Florida I catch many of my fish on speed jigs or butterfly jigs. You may want to check out some other kayak fishing site to see how people rig their boats. If I was to suggest the milk crate rod holder set up that I have I am sure someone else will counter with their set up and why they prefer it. Its one of those whatever works for you deals.
Costa Rica is one of the places I have on my list to visit but I have not yet made the trip. I do not know much about your fish, depth of your water you will be fishing in and if you have reefs. I do know the fishing is good from friends that have gone. I would start by asking local charter captains what they think would work best as far as techniques, lures and even colors.
Since you are new to kayaking, I would start out slow. Get familiar with your boat before you load it down with a lot of gear. Make sure you get a PFD that you are comfortable with and will wear. (I prefer the belt style myself.) I started out fishing one line, then two and now I handle three at a time to cover all depths live bait, dead bait and jigs. This still can create a lot of issues when you have a fish run through you lines but it can produce fish.

Again just take your time, friend some fellow fishermen for advice, hopefully find someone to kayak with and have fun! Looking forward to seeing you post some pics here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you sir, hey if you ever make it down here, let me know so we can go fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,

#1) As jagerschnapps1 said choose a PFD you are comfortable with and WILL wear. It does you no good in the boat if you go in the drink.

#2) Leg sheath or add to your PFD in a convenient location a small line cutter or a small 3.5" blunt tip dive knive with line cutter. This is for safety if you go over with lines in the water and need to cut yourself free of entanglement if it happened.

#3) Leash anything you do not want to lose Rods/Reels, cameras, grippers, pliers, Mirage Drive, etc. There are foam rod floats available instead of a leash. It is not a common practice but again for safety if offshore it is recommended to leash yourself to your kayak by means of a surfers ankle leash. Swimming for a fast drifting wind or current driven kayak in a PFD can be a daunting task doomed for failure.

#4) Add a safety flag to your kayak when in navigable waters inshore or offshore. Attaching one or more small red triangular flags to an old fishing rod is cheapest way and put it in a rod holder. There are great ones by YakAttack and others but can be pricey. Believe me you are NOT as visible as one may think in waves. A 2 foot wave trough will obscure all of you but your head from view. I also have an ocean boat and here in South Florida there are many kayakers and paddle boarders going offshore up to 2 miles from shore and the majority don't have a flag or are even wearing their PFD's. Make yourself as VISIBLE as possible for small and larger boats are NOT on the lookout for kayaks far offshore.

#5) Fish with a buddy .. he just may save your life if anything happens. Alone you are on your own. Groups of kayaks also are more VISIBLE than a lone one.

#6) Never exceed your own limitations and experience. Leave a float plan with a friend or relative just in case so people would know where to look if there ever was an emergency. Carry a hand held marine radio and an EPIRB especially if you plan to go far offshore.

Just some tips I have learned over the years in the forum, at kayak fishing seminars and out on the water. These apply to all fishing Offshore and Inshore alike. All are purely safety tips and one should take whatever safety measures they feel comfortable with to ensure a fun, safe and productive day on the water without loss of gear or your life.

Revo