Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

IMO, a common misconception about the Turbofins is that they are just for stronger pedalers who can utilize their greater size. While they are larger and have a greater power potential, they are also more efficient and can be advantageous by applying the same effort (at a slower pace).

I took them on a five mile (GPS) cruise this morning at the local lake (no current, light winds, calm water, up and back course and I wasn't sailing). In the Adventure it took 58 minutes for an average speed of just under 5.2 mph; could have gone further at that speed. Normally I don't go nearly this long without resting the old legs, but I figured a good speed over this distance would be due to efficiency rather than power -- wanted to see if it worked out that way.

I don't have any comparable info on what the standard fins would do over that distance, but the best I've done over half the distance was 4.5mph with the standard fins.

I would imagine that any of the Mirage drive kayaks would get similar improvements. Has anyone tried them yet on the Outback, Sport or Classic? The tandem could probably tow a water skier with a pair of Turbodrives! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner,
I too, would be curious to know what some of the other Mirage Drive kayak owners think of the Turbo Kit, especially Classic owners.

I took mine out on Saturday and did 10.3 miles (GPS) which is my longest trip to date and now feel that the increased resistance of the Turbo Drive is negligible. Your figures are in line with mine and I believe the Turbo Kit gives a good 15% increase in speed for the same effort.

Who knows what the future holds, maybe a “Super Turbo Kitâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They have a tandem at Dana Point do you want me to ask them if we can test drive it with the turbos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

OffRoad wrote:
They have a tandem at Dana Point do you want me to ask them if we can test drive it with the turbos?
Sounds like fun. Lets do it. Or, if you prefer, I have the older style tandem here. I had a problem fitting the new drive in one of the slots -- need to trouble-shoot it or remount the fins on an older drive, but that shouldn't be a big deal.