Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible to use both when moving to use the mirage drive and a paddle or is that simply to much at once?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easy to do, just raise the rudder and start paddling. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes and it will increase speed too!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For sure! I use the paddles frequently in combination with pedals to catch up to an open water swimmer for support and feedings. This is typical when you have to drift off-course trying to do too many things at once (with two hands in rough surf) or if you have to pick up feeds from the main support boat ... in cases of channel crossings. The burst of speed not only helps you get in position quicker, but you can also stop or even back paddle immediately once you reach the destination with precision (oars).

When I train on long excursions and run into currents, but still have to meet someone at a certain time at a destination, using both means of propulsion is ideal to "catch up" or beat the current when you lost time. Of course, after 15 or 20 miles, you better be fit to keep this up long-term.

Oddly enough, I typically don't bother raising the rudder - I stear with the paddle as needed while the rudder stays dead center, but will give it a try next time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Firemission wrote:
Is it possible to use both when moving to use the mirage drive and a paddle or is that simply to much at once?
Not only is it possible, it is aerobically rewarding while boosting the overall speed up to 1 mile an hour faster.

In the old days, my rudders were pretty "loose" making it impossible to leave them down while trying to both pedal and paddle at the same time. It was tough to paddle comfortably without having to over react to correct the kayaking going off course.

Today, I leave the rudder down and can paddle & pedal for miles without ever touching the rudder control. I gently steer by paddling twice or more on one side compared to the other side. Of course, that won't work if you are on a twisty narrow river but it works well on a wide slowly curving river. Pace wise, I find it comfortable to do one paddle stroke (one side dipped into the water) per every one and a half pedal strokes (up and down with one pedal is one stroke).

It may feel awkward at first and your heart rate may increase, but once you get used to it and your body gets aerobically stronger, pedaling and paddling at the same time is the only way to go. The only drawback is your friends in normal kayaks won't be able to keep up with you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchaced a Hobie Sport for fishing in a lake near where I live.
It took me a while to paddle and peddle at the same time.
With feet on peddles, forward left peddle then right.....get going, slowly but steady, when the left leg is extended, dip your paddle in freely on that side and pull, when the right leg is extended, dip your in and pull. This is a nice trolling speed, and I am not banging into my knees. If your new at this it's a nice pace and you don't tire out........just keep the rythum.