Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddle drip rings
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Revolution about 6 months ago and it came with what appears to be a carbon fiber paddle. The paddle didn't come with drip rings though. I have an older Revolution and an older Outback that came with the aluminum (I presume) shaft type paddles and both of those have the rubber drip rings. The next time I was in the store where I bought the latest Revo I told them about it not having the drip rings, so they ordered them for me and shipped them to my house. They came today, but they do not fit. Too big for the paddle shaft. They just move with gravity. They are also too big for my older paddles. They almost feel like plastic whereas the ones on my other paddles are rubber. The Hobie part number on the ones they shipped me is 74030001 and are made by Canon (packaged as a Hobie Accessory). I looked in the Hobie Accessories catalog and did not see paddle drip rings listed.

I get wet with or without drip rings, so it is not that big of a deal, but figured I would check here nonetheless.

Post subject: Re: Paddle drip rings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Drip rings are included, but not installed, on fiberglass paddles. I suspect they were left in the plastic package upon delivery. I throw mine away... and I have a paddle kayak. They are not worth it... as you noted, you get wet either way when paddling. I am sure we can sort out the correct type. 74030001 is the correct part number. I suspect we have a bin full of older Cannon ones.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just for some feedback I made a little video to show you what happens on mine. My Hobie paddle is fiberglass and is also made by Cannon. Since these drip rings feel like they are made of plastic rather than rubber I would suspect that they would quickly become deformed (and not spring back as easy as rubber) when secured by the bungee retainer against the kayak hull.

Here is the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kHwwKFlwk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can't you put some waterproof tape above and below where you want the rings to stay?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I could do that, but I will just do without the rings since they offer little protection when I use them anyway. Besides I still think the plastic rings would become deformed over time. I just wanted to get some feedback to Hobie as I would think that this is not going to go over too well to a lot of people who right or wrong want to use the rings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never seen that "drip rings" actually do anything. Got rid of my first set and have tossed out any that came with my paddles since.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Admin

The fiberglass paddles are currently made by us here in Oceanside. The drip rings that came with my new paddle are rubber. I'd bet these are for the aluminum shaft paddles. Have to check on that one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes Matt - the plastic drip rings fit the aluminum paddles. The only reason they do though is due to the heat shrink that is on the shaft of the aluminum paddle. The heat shrink does not cover the entire length of the paddle shaft, so if the ring is not on the heat shrinked portion it will just free fall with gravity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While a proper fit would be nice, it would be easy to apply a dab of silicone where you want the ring, slide the ring on top, go to bed and wake up with a ring that does not move.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree that there are many ways one can fix this, but my fix will be just to toss them as I manage to soak myself with or without the drip rings. I am primarily providing the feedback to Hobie. I am sure Hobie does not want its customers to have to use bandaid fixes for something like this. The dealer where I bought my last Revo is about 50+ miles away and I just casually mentioned it when I went back there for other items and they offered to order them for me and mail them. I just accepted their offer.