Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am taking on water through a hull crack in the bottom front of the hole that the mirage drive fits in. The work space there is very tight. Hobie has sent me "rods" for the repair. I have never done this type of work before so I need pointers. Also, If I attempt repairs, does that void whatever warranty is left on the hull of my 2006 (bought second hand) mirage fisherman?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

We typically do not weld cracks below the waterline...

An '06 would not be covered by warranty. Warranty is two years, but we sometimes make adjustments. Depending on the age and whether you are the original owner. If someone suggested welding, I suspect the damage was determined to be repairable.

If an attempt is made via our suggestion, it would have no bearing on possible further help from us.

Welding instructions: http://www.urethanesupply.com/step3b.php

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First, thank you for the response. Interesting that my damage is in the same location and looks almost exactly like the damage pictured in the post entitled "Hobie Outback Leak" by Moehjo on August 10. This suggests that I am not the only one having this problem. Since Hobie sent the rods, after a phone conversation, we assumed that meant they recommended using them. As stated in my first post, I am the second owner. The person I bought the yak from purchased it new from a Hobie reseller. Since you, as a Hobie representative, do not recommend welding, how do I find out about adjustments?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Adjustments? Contact a dealer and filie a warranty claim. We would look at the age of the hull and the second owner issue to see if there is some warranty coverage available. Again, if someone here suggested welding, I suspect that the hull is pretty old and even beyond the extended coverage we have been offering for drive well issues, but that is just a guess. Not many people in my office and none of us recommend welding below the waterline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the boat is operating fine other than leaking, you may find that a liberal application of "Goop" will seal the leak permanently.

I mention this only as recourse in the event that Hobie is not able to offer any further help.

I think some of the leaks associated with cracks in kayak hulls, if they do not affect the boat structurally, can often be sealed satisfactorily with a sealant such as Goop.

By the way, I have used a lot of products such as Lexcel, etc., but at the end of the day, Goop is as good or better than anything else I've found.