Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see there's a review of the Revo 11 on Paddling.Net:
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ?prod=2861

They don't say much, but they gave the boat 10/10.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My local Hobie dealer got some Revo 11's, so I took one for a demo along with a Revo 13 for comparison. The Revo 11 felt slightly more tippy, but overall, I liked it better than the Revo 13. Speed was about the same. The handling and turning was great, like driving a small sports car! Lifting, loading and unloading was super easy. I can see the Revo 11 putting the Sport out of commission and maybe even the Revo 13.

One thing I noticed was the rudder lifting from the locked down position after sharp turns. Anybody else noticed this? I "corrected" the problem by locking the rudder down line to the cleat next to it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The big separator between the 11 and 13 would have to be the size of the rider they can support for a dry ride. If there's no real difference, then you're probably right about the 13 being overshadowed. If you really get the same ride and capacity out of either one, why would you want to carry the extra couple feet of boat? Hobie would need to come out with a boat in between the 11 and the Outback. A "Revolution" 14 with maybe an extra inch or so of width, if needed to help support an honest 250 lb rider in a relatively dry manner, would get a lot of traction. I think there's room for a model that is more open water friendly than the Outback but has more capacity than the current Revo 13.

That 13 foot size seems to me to be a sweet spot for combined portability, capacity, and handling. I have been riding a non-Hobie 15.5 foot boat and a couple feet shorter makes a big difference. I could easily see that smaller boats would be appreciated by smaller riders with less strength to toss a larger craft up on top of a vehicle. I guess it's a balance and each size class of rider needs a matching size class of boat. The 13 is plenty portable for me.

-bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Ricky wrote:
One thing I noticed was the rudder lifting from the locked down position after sharp turns. Anybody else noticed this? I "corrected" the problem by locking the rudder down line to the cleat next to it.
The rudder is not locked by simply pulling the "down" handle. It is locked down only when firmly cleated. The hook and detent only serve to establish the down position -- it is not designed to secure the rudder for all maneuvers.

Some are afraid to cleat their rudder because of a mistaken belief that it could break if it strikes an obstacle. This is not the case. The nylon rudder cord has enough stretch to allow the rudder to override/sidestep a submerged object then drop back into position. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
The rudder is locked down only when firmly cleated.

I saw a Hobie video on Youtube yesterday showing this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:mrgreen: I love it. It's the most fun I've had since my Hobie Cat 16 and a heck of a lot lighter!

1991 Side by Side Kawasaki Jet Ski
1998 Pro Angler
1995 Pro Line Cuddy
Pontoon, age unknown, but it's great for cruising.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner, can you give me a quick comparison between the Revo 11 and the Sport? Both weigh the same, and everyone is telling me that the Revo 11 is the better choice for fishing, expandability, etc. I like the Sport being that it is short and easy to pick up and move around. But I don't want to get it and regret not getting the Revo 11. Or get the Revo 11 and find out I would of rather have the smaller Sport which maybe more stable as well. FYI, I weigh 180 and I am 5'9, and the Sport wasn't too bad but I only tested it for 10 mins.

P.S. I already have an Outback which is heavy and cumbersome for quick solo fishing trips. I'm looking for a lighter easier to handle kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Keep in mind that I prioritize speed, range and and weather capabilities and am not a fisherman. I'm about your size though (5'10" 180).

The Sport has the Outback's tray system -- that may be an advantage to you. On the othr hand, the Revo 11 has a bow hatch and much better interior access.

On a head to head basis, here's my comparison:

Compact transport and storage -- Sport by 1 1/2 feet
Weight -- Sport by 2 or 3 lb.
Ease of loading -- I can't tell the difference; both excellent
Cockpit space, size, weight capacity -- Revo 11 by a substantial margin
Pedaling efficiency-- Revo 11 definitely at our height
Initial stability -- small edge to Sport
Secondary or final stability -- small edge to R11
Speed/range -- R11 by a wide margin
Seaworthiness (wind and chop) -- R11 by a mile
Turning/maneuverability -- both excellent
Quiet operation -- no question the R11 has it, the Sport doesn't
Fun factor -- no comparison. R11 is a blast!

Bottom line -- I sold my Sport to get an R11. The Revo 11 is a dynamite little kayak and feels like a sports car on the water.

The Revo 11 should be able to accommodate any fishing gear add-ons (ram mounts, Scotty mounts, depth finder, bait tank, etc). It only lacks the handy trays that some fishermen like to use.

If you can get a demo first, you can compare for yourself. IMO, the Sport does a lot for its size, but the Revo 11 delivers more comfort and versatility. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner, you mentioned a key topic that was really what I wanted to discuss...Sea Worthiness.

So I fish in some really windy, choppy, and deep water situations very often, almost everytime I hit the coast. I like how my outback makes me feel safe due to its stability and the way it seems to float (but pounds loudly) through waves. I constantly get waves crashing into the side of my kayak throwing me left to right, and I feel confident I won't flip.

So you think the Revo 11 is much better suited for these types of conditions? For some reason, I was thinking the Sport would be better than the Revo since it has Outback-like hull design. And the Revo looks like it sits in the water more shallow than the sport, which waves coming from the side of the kayak could cause it flip. Can you comment more about this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:55 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

A popular characteristic with the Outback is just that -- high initial stability -- It feels solid when you get in the boat, like you're sitting in it rather than on it. But as you say, it rocks quite a bit when swells hit it from the side. The down side to that is, if one catches you unaware, the boat can toss you out since you have little control over the rolling moment. Last year there was an episode with a PA capsizing for that exact reason -- as you know, that's a very "stable" boat!

The Sport behaves more similarly to the Outback in that regard than the Revo 11. With greater initial stability, it feels more solid when getting in, although not nearly as much as the Outback. On the other hand, the R11 has a more predictable and stable tipping point. Additionally, the R11 does not rock as much in cross swells as the square chined Sport. The boat responds more to YOU and less to the rolling action of the swells, so it's easier to control the tippiness. In reality, both boats can handle cross chop reasonably well as long as you're paying attention. But in complex swell situations that often occur in the ocean, I think it's safer to bob up and down than to rock and roll.

In any event, both of the smaller boats can be wetter than the Outback since there is less freeboard available.

If you're comfortable with the layout and handling of the Outback, then the Sport will feel more at home for you. If you travel a short distance to your fishing area, then speed and range may not be significant. If you don't have any issues with the Outback handling the active waters, then the Sport shouldn't give you any big surprises. If you feel comfortable in the smaller cockpit, then there is no disadvantage there either. It all depends on your priorities and preferences. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happy Hobie Holidays to you Roadrunner. Thanks for all of your continued support on the forums - everyone here at Hobie Cat really appreciates all that you contribute here. Have a great X Mas and new year - see ya in 2012'!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:13 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks JB. None of this would be possible without you and the good folks at Hobie. You guys (and gals) bring us joy and good health throughout the year. Thanks for all that you do -- I think all the Hobie employees should take the rest of the year off for your dedicated effort and well earned accomplishments!

Looking forward to a great 2012! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be picking up my Revo 11 in two weeks. I can't wait to get it on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd be more interested in the Hobie Revo 13 once the scupper reinforcement is rolled into that model? Seems this should be a priority change to implement.

Curious, if the molded in handles on the Revo 13 will eventually go away if a new mold is created, but it looks like the Revo 11 style paddled webbing handles could be added easlily at even more ideal locations.
It seems the padded webbing handles (securely attached) would work better for lifting the boat from right side up on the ground to upside down on a vehicles racks for transport.

mmiller wrote:
John P. wrote:
... if I were to buy a new Revo 13 that it would have the scupper reinforcement or the driveline enhancements added mid cycle year, right?

Quote:
I don't really know. Your dealer should have all the scoop regarding the changes for 2012. It would make sense that the Drive mod is done for all the '12 boats already. Otherwise they would have to build 2 versions of the Drive.

Drive alignment is a 2012 model year change across the board. Scupper reinforcement is a rolling change. Not sure of the schedule of which boats will get it when, but may take awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[bsee said]I think there's room for a model that is more open water friendly than the Outback but has more capacity than the current Revo 13.

Couldn't agree more. I love my Outback in every respect except for it's bad manners into the wind and sea. I have considered the Revo for this reason but it just doesn't seem to have the all round fishability of the Outback.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next