Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JRiv wrote:
I'd be more interested in the Hobie Revo 13 once the scupper reinforcement is rolled into that model? Seems this should be a priority change to implement.

Does anyone know if this was implemented for recent 2012 Revo's?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you're 6'4" like I am you would choose a 13, but at my wife's 5'4", the 11 is perfect, so we have one of each and are both thrilled!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The scupper reinforcements are in the Revolution 13 as well now. It is in all of the Mirage kayaks, and several of the paddle series.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
Keep in mind that I prioritize speed, range and and weather capabilities and am not a fisherman. I'm about your size though (5'10" 180).

The Sport has the Outback's tray system -- that may be an advantage to you. On the othr hand, the Revo 11 has a bow hatch and much better interior access.

On a head to head basis, here's my comparison:

Compact transport and storage -- Sport by 1 1/2 feet
Weight -- Sport by 2 or 3 lb.
Ease of loading -- I can't tell the difference; both excellent
Cockpit space, size, weight capacity -- Revo 11 by a substantial margin
Pedaling efficiency-- Revo 11 definitely at our height
Initial stability -- small edge to Sport
Secondary or final stability -- small edge to R11
Speed/range -- R11 by a wide margin
Seaworthiness (wind and chop) -- R11 by a mile
Turning/maneuverability -- both excellent
Quiet operation -- no question the R11 has it, the Sport doesn't
Fun factor -- no comparison. R11 is a blast!

Bottom line -- I sold my Sport to get an R11. The Revo 11 is a dynamite little kayak and feels like a sports car on the water.

The Revo 11 should be able to accommodate any fishing gear add-ons (ram mounts, Scotty mounts, depth finder, bait tank, etc). It only lacks the handy trays that some fishermen like to use.

If you can get a demo first, you can compare for yourself. IMO, the Sport does a lot for its size, but the Revo 11 delivers more comfort and versatility. 8)

This is very good thread. I am looking at older model Mirage sport 2009 for my wife and second yak for me to use in small creeks ect... I have seen a lot different options ect... I am 5'9 195-200lbs with 30 inch inseam. Would I be to heavy for this yak I would use for fishing as well. My Wife is 5'3 115lbs, would the sport be easier for her to handle than the Revo 11 which is easier to load and portage with a cart. Any regrets to getting Revo 11?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gdub16 wrote:
I am 5'9 195-200lbs with 30 inch inseam. Would I be to heavy for this yak I would use for fishing as well. My Wife is 5'3 115lbs, would the sport be easier for her to handle than the Revo 11 which is easier to load and portage with a cart. Any regrets to getting Revo 11?

5'8" 200lbs and love my Revo11. It is easy to carry and load up, even though I am prone to lower back problems. I fish offshore primarily and am comfortable in any wave conditions 3ft or less. I've been out in 4ft waves, but since it feels tippy, and I have indeed tipped once, I am comfortable saying that 4ft is my personal limit.
There is ample space in the forward hatch for gear and the middle round hatch is perfect for a small selection of tackle. You can also fit the deep gear bucket in this spot if you'd prefer. The 2 rod holders are sufficient for most casual trips but if you need to carry more you can install two more on the gunnels up front or put a rack on a milkcrate behind you. Speaking of milkcrates, I also carry a 5gal bucket with bubbler for livebait in a crate behing the seat. The crate has 3 rod holders yielding a total of 5 rod holder slots for the kayak. in the rear hatch I keep the battery for the fishfinder.
The only thing I cannot tell you is where to keep all the fish you will catch! I carry a rectangular catchbag between the crate and the back of the seat, but am always looking for a better solution.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

gdub16 wrote:
I am looking at older model Mirage sport 2009 for my wife and second yak for me to use in small creeks ect... I am 5'9 195-200lbs with 30 inch inseam. Would I be to heavy for this yak I would use for fishing as well.
You would fit, but would be pushing it, especially with additional fishing gear. All the boats have a tendency to "squat" with speed, but with the older Sport hull design you can see the result here:
Even in calm water with no load in the cargo well, rudder lines are submerged and the well is picking up water. This is no big deal, but you'll get a little water intrusion into the hull through the rudder lines.

The Revo 11 has a much greater cargo well capacity and the additional freeboard in the same situation shows it:

Quote:
My Wife is 5'3 115lbs, would the sport be easier for her to handle than the Revo 11 which is easier to load and portage with a cart.
Your wife would be well sized for Sport, but should have no problem handling the the small difference in weight with the Revo 11. I find no noticeable difference with loading and handling.

Quote:
Any regrets to getting Revo 11?
Absolutely not. I have over 500 miles with the Revo 11 now and it's still an exciting boat to ride. I wouldn't trade it! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife tried out the Revo 11 today. It was the first time she has used a Mirage Drive and was amazed how it worked. We didn't bring one home but she keeps saying she wants to be a "Hobie Girl".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
gdub16 wrote:
I am looking at older model Mirage sport 2009 for my wife and second yak for me to use in small creeks ect... I am 5'9 195-200lbs with 30 inch inseam. Would I be to heavy for this yak I would use for fishing as well.
You would fit, but would be pushing it, especially with additional fishing gear. All the boats have a tendency to "squat" with speed, but with the older Sport hull design you can see the result here:
Even in calm water with no load in the cargo well, rudder lines are submerged and the well is picking up water. This is no big deal, but you'll get a little water intrusion into the hull through the rudder lines.

The Revo 11 has a much greater cargo well capacity and the additional freeboard in the same situation shows it:

Quote:
My Wife is 5'3 115lbs, would the sport be easier for her to handle than the Revo 11 which is easier to load and portage with a cart.
Your wife would be well sized for Sport, but should have no problem handling the the small difference in weight with the Revo 11. I find no noticeable difference with loading and handling.

Quote:
Any regrets to getting Revo 11?
Absolutely not. I have over 500 miles with the Revo 11 now and it's still an exciting boat to ride. I wouldn't trade it! 8)

Thanks Roadrunner,
looking at the pictures helps. I also have 8 year old do you think he would have much of a problem handling the revo 11 as apposed to sport. I have a 5 year old would he fit in cargo well to cruise around in calm waters?

You mention the older hull design in Sport has it change since form 2009-2013, would a 2010 0r 2011 make any difference? Reason being I have been looking at 2009, 2010, 2011 the 2010 and 2011 are demos, the 2009 is new still packaging. Just curious although the Revo 11 seems to be calling my name ;)

Thanks again Roadrunner for sharing your knowledge and experience you da man ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

gdub16 wrote:
I also have 8 year old do you think he would have much of a problem handling the revo 11 as apposed to sport.
Shouldn't be a problem. The pedals have 12" adjustment. Additionally, there is a secondary set of seat mounting holes 4" forward. Kids of that age don't have much pedaling endurance (usually) but seem to enjoy paddling as well. The Revo is an easier boat to paddle for a child because it is slightly narrower where the paddle swings and has a rounded deck for easier paddle clearance.

Quote:
I have a 5 year old would he fit in cargo well to cruise around in calm waters?
Here's a 7 year old in an Adventure (about the same size cargo well):

Even when he grows up he'll still fit in the Revo 11 (sort of) :lol:
Quote:
You mention the older hull design in Sport has it change since form 2009-2013, would a 2010 0r 2011 make any difference?
The current hull design for the Sport is the oldest remaining in the fleet. It has served the boat well, but IMO the latest series hulls are more efficient and quieter. The Revo 11is the newest design and the contrast is stark! The entire Hobie line gets periodic minor updates (seat design, hull buoyancy, reinforced scuppers, Mirage Drive improvements, etc. etc, but IMO the last major improvement was put in place in 2009; any Sport from that year and newer would be very similar. If new, it would also carry a transferable new boat warranty regardless of the date of manufacture. If your dealer has a new '09 to sell, he may be offering quite a deal! :wink:

Regardless of what you decide, it sounds like you'll get lots of utility and enjoyment out of your boat! Keep us informed of your decision! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
gdub16 wrote:
I am 5'9 195-200lbs with 30 inch inseam. Would I be to heavy for this yak I would use for fishing as well. My Wife is 5'3 115lbs, would the sport be easier for her to handle than the Revo 11 which is easier to load and portage with a cart. Any regrets to getting Revo 11?

5'8" 200lbs and love my Revo11. It is easy to carry and load up, even though I am prone to lower back problems. I fish offshore primarily and am comfortable in any wave conditions 3ft or less. I've been out in 4ft waves, but since it feels tippy, and I have indeed tipped once, I am comfortable saying that 4ft is my personal limit.
There is ample space in the forward hatch for gear and the middle round hatch is perfect for a small selection of tackle. You can also fit the deep gear bucket in this spot if you'd prefer. The 2 rod holders are sufficient for most casual trips but if you need to carry more you can install two more on the gunnels up front or put a rack on a milkcrate behind you. Speaking of milkcrates, I also carry a 5gal bucket with bubbler for livebait in a crate behing the seat. The crate has 3 rod holders yielding a total of 5 rod holder slots for the kayak. in the rear hatch I keep the battery for the fishfinder.
The only thing I cannot tell you is where to keep all the fish you will catch! I carry a rectangular catchbag between the crate and the back of the seat, but am always looking for a better solution.

Jcanracer, thanks for the input sounds like you are thick boned like myself. Good to hear about the utility for fishing as that is what I primarily do myself in the yak and have a couple milk crate configurations. I have commander 120 which I do like but it kind of limits me in places that I go as I am a lazy paddler so don't paddle that far when I go and tend to take to much stuff, I want to expand my range and simplify what I bring. I am not to far from tidal potomac and Chesapeake bay so would like to give them a try but again have been turned off by long paddles and commander is more of hybrid not meant for choppy waters as it is not self bailing. I love being on water in the yak. I have the c-tug already so I am set there. My only problem is this was supposed to be second yak for my Wife and some how is turning into my new yak ;) so well have to sell appropriately. I can see this getting expensive quick :)

Roadrunner thanks for other pics as being able to get my son to ride along in back cargo will be a plus.

Thanks again guys for great input.

Cheers

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
Even when he grows up he'll still fit in the Revo 11 (sort of)

Thats great lol!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the proud owner of a revo 11 after my sport developed a leak.
I have no regrets, I feel the revo 11 a lot easier to load on top my car even though it's longer than the sport (and marginally heavier). The speed and handling of the revo is amazing.

Just one question, I used to store my sport on it's side - can I do the same for the revo 11? The revo 11 is curved along it's length and won't stay upright like the sport. I store my revo on it's side leaning against the wall in my apartment. Is this ok?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It might develop a flat spot with all the weight resting on one point.

If you make a cradle out of soft foam or take a couple of foam blocks to rest the side on to create a 3 point support, I think that should work fine. I stored my old Classic that way for years (used 2 semi-formed foam blocks) with no problems.

Congratulations on your new boat! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cudas wrote:
Just one question, I used to store my sport on it's side - can I do the same for the revo 11? The revo 11 is curved along it's length and won't stay upright like the sport. I store my revo on it's side leaning against the wall in my apartment. Is this ok?

I do the same; stored on its side in my public storage unit since its the only way to get it to fit in the 10x10 unit with the rest of my junk. Its been one year so far and aside from higher than average scratching on that side, the kayak seems no worse for wear.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner, Jcanracer,
thanks for input I pulled the trigger got a 2012 Revo 11 for the Wife ;) She laughs when I try to tell her it is her Kayak. I let her pick the color, she went with the yellow or what ever it is called, kind of wish I went for green color as it looks like the green won't show as much dirt. Guess I will just have to wash it more frequently when I use it as she will not appreciate me slimming her new Yak up.

Again appreciate the feedback as well as pictures. The only problem I see in the future is we both go out I will have my paddle yak and will be hard to keep up with her.

Cheers
Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next