Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kayak registering
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

does a kayak have to registered in florida to use an electric motor on it?

Post subject: Re: kayak registering
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pretty sure you do Leroy...

The motor is the tipping point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i kinda figured that, sam is great but sucks some times.

so any ideas on how to register a kayak? no title, has anyone ever saw a title for a kayak? Does a new kayak come with a title? if not then how can they expect me,us to register a kayak? ive been trying to call the dmv but only get computer and no help. they have it were any dmv you call it goes all to one computer. can't call local dmv,doesn't make since. i went to the dmv to ask in person and both times the line was a mile long. all i want to do is ask one question and i'll bet my house on it that she,he,they woun't have any idea if a kayak needs to be registered.thats what i have to do i guess.

im basicly just complainning but any info would really be good.
Leroy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leroy:
In Florida if you have a motor (even a trolling motor) the boat must be registered and have the numbers displayed on the bow.

Once you know what to do it is very simple and quick, but doing it wrong or without the correct information can be very frustrating. The first kayak I tried to register took me three months of frustrating emails, doing to the DMV repeatedly, on and on... Once I figured it out I know what to ask for now from the dealer when I buy the kayak, and I go straight to DMV and register everything right away, if you have all the right stuff it just takes ten minutes and only costs a few bucks. It's worth it if not for anything else insurance reasons, for if it is registered and it gets found you will be notified, if never found you can file insurance claims, etc. So it is definitely worth registering you kayak (especially a very expensive one like a Hobie).

First of before contacting anyone else (ie like DMV, etc) get the hull number from the back of your boat (It is engraved into the hull on the right rear of the hull, it is usually on the sales receipt as well).

Then contact the dealer who originally sold the boat to it's first buyer (if that's you is easier). The Hobie dealer who sold the boat originally is the only one who can give you the manufacturers statement of origin ( called the MSO document). This document was sent by Hobie to the dealer along with the boat, and you need to have that specific document and can only get it from the dealer (Hobie company cannot provide that document for legal reasons). It is also very important to have a copy of the original bill of sale. If you purchased it used from a third part, you need to get a bill of sale from them, basically this sale document proves that sales tax was paid for the boat originally, if you can't produce the receipt Florida charges you full sales tax on the price you paid for the boat.
Once you have the certificate of origin (the dealer knows exactly what it is), and a copy of the sales receipt you are now ready to go to the DMV.
First thing they will do is create a title for the boat (about $10 bucks I think, this is a one time charge). Once titled you then get a registration tag, and you attach it to the bow of your boat along with the registration numbers (everything is explained well in the documentation).

Go to this thread to read up more on MSO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=48596

Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's what I had to do in Maryland, but may be similar to Florida...

1. Get a copy of the Manufactuer's Statement of Origin (MSO). See this FAQ.

2. Get Title & Registration forms from the DNR/DMV/whatever in your state. Probably can get them off their website.

3. Take/mail completed Title & Registration forms & MSO to DNR/DMV/whatever along with a check for fees and (probably) excise tax.

4. Attach registration sticker & numbers to boat per USCG guidelines.

5. Have a stiff drink and lie down.

Here's where it gets tricky...For a used boat the MSO could be a problem unless you know the original dealer & they're still in business. AFAIK Hobie will only supply MSO's to the dealer - not the boat owner since it's a chain of ownership document. If the original owner didn't/can't/won't get the MSO for you I'd contact Hobie & ask what to do.

Here's the other bad news. If you didn't pay sales tax on the boat when you bought it, then you may have to pay excise (AKA sales) tax when you title the boat. It's 5% in MD. Ouch.

The good news is your state may have a process for titling boats that have never been titled or the chain of ownership is undocumented like homemade, salvaged, or "found" boats.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info, the problem is i bought it on craigs list and the post is gone and i didn't keep the guys #. and i had it delivered so i have no idea were he is. im pretty much screwed. i built a boat once and had no trouble getting a title for it, i scrapped it after useing it 10 years, maybe i'll use those numbers, ive been on the water all my life and never had a boat checked. the homemade boat was a really small pontoon and my yak has outriggers and there tiny pontoons. i know its not exactly the rite thing but its still in my name and the state would get paid when i get the sticker so what could it hurt. any advice on that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just went through this. In Oregon if it's got a motor, or, if it's a sailboat over 12' in length, it's got to be titled and registered. All they need to title is the HIN (hull identification number) number that Hobie engraves on the hull. So when we get sail kits my wifes Revo11 won't need to be registered but my Revo13 will.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

joel_T, so you didn't have to show any paperwork, just the hull number?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Leroy wrote:
joel_T, so you didn't have to show any paperwork, just the hull number?

I filled out the 1 page OSMB (Oregon State Marine Board) title and registration request form that only asked for the HIN. No MSO or other extra paperwork was required. I hope that's it anyway ....I haven't recieved anything back yet. I'll post back when I get it....I'd imagine next week some time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

man im glad to hear that, I'll go back to the dmv next week and wait.

thanks to all again for the info

Leroy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have found in FL that what is required depends upon the DMV person you are talking with. If I were you I would go to the local DMV office and talk with a person and see what the requirements are. Then, after getting the information, go back to the same person and get it registered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leroy:
We are all assuming it's a Hobie Kayak you are trying to register (thus the Hobie forum). The HID (hull identification number) is located on the right rear of the hull, it's typically engraved back there and you may need a magnifying glass to make out all the numbers and letters. Write these numbers down, and possibly take pics of the HID number and the boat in general. Measure how long the boat is (they will ask). Make sure they understand that it is an old used kayak that you are wanting to register, so you can add a trolling motor for fishing. If you can take the kayak to the DMV with you it helps, they may want to walk out into the parking lot to see it (they did with me). Just explain that you bought it used off craigslist, and it is not possible to get a MCO document. They will likely register it as a home built or recovered craft with maybe a couple extra items you will need to fill out. I have built quite a few home built boats and had to go through all that, with every one of them they wanted to see the boat.

Honestly if you are just planning to just try out the trolling motor, but only plan to use it once in a great while, if it were me I would just use it and claim 'I didn't know' when you get pulled over, then go get it registered once you have been pulled over once (that's what I did). Unless the ranger is a dick, or you act like an ass to him, he will usually just tell you to get it registered, but if he sees you out again the next week, you will surely get a ticket.
I don't think kayaks are high on the coast guards list of priorities as far as boat registration goes, but safety is, you really do need a life jacket on board and a whistle, they do check for that stuff with kayaks, I've been stopped several times, for safety inspection, and fishing license checks (safety first) ( I don't regular fish, but as a diver I do spear fish, and lobster fish).
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Federal Law says that States may only regulate motorized vessels, and therefore most do. It's a revenue source.

Although many states also regulate sail boats beyond a certain length, I have beat that in court a couple times. Federal law always trumps state law. Of course, the instant you hang any kind of motor on a sailboat, you're under state regulations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As has been stated, most states require registration for any boat with any kind of a motor. I had an old sail boat that I bought privately when I lived in Idaho. When I went to put an electric trolling motor on it years later I had no proof of ownership. The DMV simply required the hull number and brand of the boat. They then issued a registration document, gave me the numbers to use and provided me with the annual sticker. It was really quite simple. These folks have to deal with this stuff everyday and I found that they usually don't make that big of a deal out of it. I think they're just glad to know that people are trying to follow the law and generally let it go at that. I wouldn't get too worked up about it as it will probably go just fine.