Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: two way radios
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone tried the Midland H2o radios from Bass Pro Shop? They are supposed to be waterproff and cost $90.

Post subject: Re: two way radios
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mb4859 wrote:
Has anyone tried the Midland H2o radios from Bass Pro Shop? They are supposed to be waterproff and cost $90.

If you are talking about these: http://www.midlandradio.com/On-the-Water.8FV/GXT1050VP4

Then yes. I have 8 of the ones like it, but not waterproof. I thought I'd try the waterproof ones because I'm out in the rain sometimes... and thought good for boating as well.

They work "ok". #1) They are bigger than thier non-water proof cousins, which I did not like... #2) and they use a different charger. #3) The sound is slightly muffeled, probably due to the waterproofing, but not a big deal.

I actually returned them because of #1 and #2 above, but if these are your only radios I think they will work for you fine. All the non waterproof ones I have work great. Good battery life too.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Depends how much you get wet, I'd still recommend using a waterproof case like the following:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hamme where did you get those bags?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mb4859 wrote:
hamme where did you get those bags?

I got mine from a local marine retail store in Australia.

But I'm sure you can get them from any marine store and/or online.

http://www.overboardusa.com/

http://www.aquapac.net/

I also got one for my phone and it works extremely well. I can hear callers clearly and they can hear me through the waterproof bag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would go with a pair that has NOAA Weather channels and is water resistant as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1050VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WM73P0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299628688&sr=1-3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These Uniden's work great for us out in the ocean when we do channel crossings ... be aware though that their waterproof ability changes when you use the hands-free headphones / mic accessories. They have a convenient clip-on option as well in case you want to keep them out all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.amazon.com/GMR3689-2CK-36-MI ... 558&sr=8-8

Here is the link ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kingdaddy wrote:
I would go with a pair that has NOAA Weather channels and is water resistant as well.
Speaking of multi-fuctional radios, MB4859 might consider a waterproof marine radio like the Standard Horizon HX851. Although more expensive, you get standard marine frequencies including emergency channels. This particular model offers DSC functions, SOS strobe light, NOAA weather channels and waypoint navigation. Non-commercial channels could be utilized in a walkie-talkie fashion with anyone else that has a VHF radio while the potential life saving benefits of a VHF radio are right there if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've been using radios among our kayaks for about 12 years now, but one thing we learned - the claims that many makers state about communications distance is based on airplane to airplane testing. That's right - a buddy of mine, using the phone in my office, got ahold of both Midland and Motorola engineers to find out why our supposed "25+ mile" radios were only reaching about a mile at best, on open water with direct line of sight between users.

What we learned was, when they say "optimum line of sight" they were talking about airplane to airplane or airplane to ground communications. I'm surprised somebody hasn't taken out a class action lawsuit against some of the FRS radio manufacturers. Their statement is true, but misleading to the average consumer.

Eventually we learned that for each watt of power in radios with this type wavelength, you can expect about .8 miles per watt, in open, direct sight conditions. So we ended up switching to handheld Marine VHF models from ICOM (IC-M88). These are waterproof and offer up to 5 watts of power. We can easily get 3 to 5 mile ranges on open water. We've been very pleased.

If you're interested in having such a radio for safety on big waters, Marine VHF is the way to go. Although the ICOMs are great, one of the guys did pick up a $60 Midland VHF and another went with a $100 Uniden model. Both are doing very well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mb4859 wrote:

Read the fine print. Waterproof against splashing water. When they go in all the way, even for 10-15 seconds, the speaker cuts out and they become non-functional. You can whap them against your leg to get the water out with about 50% success rate. Most of the time they are good to go after drying out, but we have been through three out of four that we bought and the concensus is they are fine dry, but definately not waterproof.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kingdaddy wrote:

Kingdaddy, after originally posting we have been through a few models including four of the models in your link. We have toasted three of the four we bought. They do well until a strong rain hits, or as is more frequently the case we drop one into the drink. First thing that happens is water prevents the mic from transmitting (physical effect of the water we think.) We whap them against our PFDs a few times and they sometimes come back. After three or four times in the drink they are pretty much toasted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NeilEugene wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/GMR3689-2CK-36-MILE-WATERPROOF-TWO-WAY-SCANNERS/dp/B004Y39Q0O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1312412558&sr=8-8

Here is the link ...

Thanks NeilEugene, I just ordered a set from Amazon. If these don't work we will try the drybags.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Canceled at Amazon, NewEgg had them for $30 less.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A standard ZipLock bag works wonders - I've kept a Motorola TS6200 FRS going for nearly 8 years now and have even waded deep enough that it's underwater for extended periods. Can press the mic button and talk right through the bad (not while it's underwater, of course).