Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas boat registrations
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was reading a post on the forums that was talking about the pitfalls of traveling to various states with the kayak and encountering potential problems with locals laws as apposed to those in our home states. Reading that made me revisit the rules in my home state, Texas, just to make sure I'm good to go. Turns out I am as far as my Revolution 16 is concerned as all kayaks, etc, regardless of length, are exempt from registration requirements as long as they're only powered by paddle, peddle, etc. Next down the list were sailboats. Sailboats under 14' long don't have to be registered. All powered boats do have to be registered.

Now here's the kicker and the source of my question. If any kind of power, trolling motor etc., is added to the boat (they were talking sailboats at the time) then it becomes a powered vessel and all regulations related to such must be followed. So, my question is, has anyone who's added the evolve electric propulsion to their Hobie kayak had to have the boat registered, hull numbers and everything?

Thanks,
Steve R.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wondered the same thing, especially because my state seems to have an 8 foot rule for sail! I would hope enforcers would accept the advice in the Hobie online sail manual which says the sail should be seen as only an assist to pedaling. Maybe the solar motor could be seen in the same light as a feeble assist... sort of like the little staysail that commercial motor fishing boats used to use for stability.

I wonder if the coast guard also sticks it's nose in state registration issues, with all the cross cooperation feds do with local enforcement. My state seems to limit it's scarce boating enforcement resources on genuine threats to public safety, whereas it is the CG that seems most active to target folks for a substandard PFD whistle or some technicality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the state of TEXAS is you have a bathtub and place a gas engine or an electric motor on it you would have to register the tub if you place it in public water. So yes any item with gas or electric on it will have to be registered. I saw a float tube at Falcon and it had the registration numbers on it because it had a 1.5 horse motor on it.

Good Luck and if you have questions and want a professional answer call the Texas Parks and Wildlife department in Austin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinwater skinner wrote:
TEXAS is you have a bathtub and place a gas engine or an electric motor on it you would have to register the tub if you place it in public water.

But registered where... I bet a bunch of superyachts are tied up along Texan coast with registrations of convenience. Just now I saw an almost 300 foot private yacht putter by with the usual Cayman Island flag, even though it probably visits that island once or never in it's life. There used to be one appalachian state that didn't register any boats, and folks in say Illinois would present bills of sale from Kentucky or whatever in lieu of registration some years ago.

So maybe we can get a sailing or solar powered kayak registered for life with 100 Paraguayan pesos if we can prove we once slipped just beyond the 3 or 12 mile territorial limit? I'm not trying to save pennies, but escape a needless domino effect, such as having to attend regular classes intended to reduce reckless jetski injuries.

Our state micromanages harmless citizens with excessive costs and obligations because they are soft targets. Meanwhile if it isn't letting every felon have probation with their 40th conviction, it lets it's prison employees shovel in drugs and phones for cash because their employment agreement ensures no searches allowed at work arrival (this from state guards of whom HALF called in sick on superbowl day). Let me kayak in bureaucratic peace!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:
TEXAS is you have a bathtub and place a gas engine or an electric motor on it you would have to register the tub if you place it in public water.

But registered where...

If you are in Texas, then go to the county court house or where they register cars and trucks. The clerk's staff will have all the paper work for you to fill out. To get the registration for the yak, you would send the paper work and money order to Austin.

Here you go...: <https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/>

HOpe this helps...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater skinner wrote:
Good Luck and if you have questions and want a professional answer call the Texas Parks and Wildlife department in Austin.

It's not something I'm worried about as I don't plan on powering my Hobie with anything else but me! I was just wondering if this had been an issue for anyone else. It does seem a bit overkill for what amounts to nothing more than a trolling motor on a kayak.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Intrepid175 wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:

It's not something I'm worried about as I don't plan on powering my Hobie with anything else but me! I was just wondering if this had been an issue for anyone else. It does seem a bit overkill for what amounts to nothing more than a trolling motor on a kayak.

Overkill is not the issue. It is about collection of money that is not consider tax money (bad word in Texas), but rather about paying for fees and licencs money... Not a bad word if only the user has to pay. This is not an offical stance, but rather an opinion of my own; and good 'ol Gov. Mark White. He ran on "NO NEW TAXES" and so we now have fees and other ways to raise money in the State of Texas. (I will get of my soapbox now.)