Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2014 Rev 13, but impressed with the new seat and drive on the 2015s. My decision is between these kayaks. I like the lower weight of the 11 (and I am only average weight and height), but concerned that only having two height adjustments at the rear of the seat would not give me the comfort range of the Rev13 (how many actually prefer the top height for comfort?), or tracking or stability? (I don't make hard turns). Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated
Doc Ron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For reference, I own a 2012 Revo11, have pedaled a 2013 Revo13, and now own a 2015 Revo13.

The new seat is amazing, very comfortable and unlike the old seats, the recline settings don't slip on you and you don't sit in a perpetual puddle :lol:
After taking my Revo13 out to sea on Saturday, I have no interest in any position other than the lowest seat setting which I found super stable. If you are getting swamped with waves, your bum will just about graze the puddle under the seat in the lowest setting, but that's why they have the venturi drain. I wouldn't worry about the height adjust-ability aspect of the comparison. If you want a high stable seat, go outback or pro-angler (but that seems to be the antithesis of your desire to lighten your craft).

The weight difference is tangible, as is the difference in length when it comes to storage. However, I am happy to report that both Revolution models still come with solid handles symmetrically placed on either side and I can lift either model over my head without the off balance feeling that an Outback gives. How do you store/carry yours?

Both the 11 and the 13 are sea-worthy with the edge going to the 13 for tracking and surfing performance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for that very helpful reply. I very occasionally transport my K on the van, but most of the time it is at the cottage. The reason I asked about the height of the rear seat adjustment is that the higher setting might reduce the "reclining effect" of my 2014 model, and thus be more comfortable (and that is based on the assumption that sitting up a little straighter improves comfort-but I am not sure). The edge of the 13 for tracking and surfing -would you guess is 10% greater or more?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
the higher setting might reduce the "reclining effect" of my 2014 model, and thus be more comfortable

I'm not quite sure I follow. The recline settings on the new seat are independent of the height settings. For what its worth, a little incline was comfortable to me most of the day, and then when pedaling hard to keep up with the waves as I approached the beach I put my seat back in an upright position.

I can't put a percentage on surfing or tracking performance, but it's noticeable.
Tracking: where the Revo11 needs frequent steering adjustments, the Revo13 seems to need less. Also without rudder, the Revo13 paddles better for sure.
Surfing: the Revo13 bow is a bit longer and if you time the waves right, you can plane over them a bit better than the Revo11.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the revo11 due to the 6ish kg weight difference. It was the difference between me lifting it onto my roof vs using an assisted lifter. with the revo 11, on the highestseat setting it can feel a bit tippy so i don't miss the third seat setting at the back. Coming from a paddle kayak the 11 does not paddle well or track through the water well at all without rudder. With the rudder it paddles quite well. But in reality we don't buy hobies to paddle them