Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Craigslist has a 2004 Outback without a Twist and Stow Rudder or Turbo Fins. Is it possible to upgrade these fins to turbo style? How about changing out the NON-Twist and Stow to a T&S and put a Sailing rudder fin on this? This unit has not been used much, but I have a 2006 and a 2008 and this 2004 would be a step backwards in its current configuration. I have tried to find some info, but I don't see any PDF's that show a mod for the rudder assembly.

I had never seen this type of rudder before. It also has hatches with removable covers. I see there are upgrade for this, but they would be fine as is.

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Might not a be step back. I have a 2005 and greatly prefer the mechanical lever for raising and lowering the rudder, plus you have an optional 3rd setting for "down-unlocked." Comes in handy in very shallow water. Never did like the pull lines. There always in the way, tangled, etc. If I could easily convert all my newer boats to a lever system, I'd do it. I did buy the pieces to convert my later model Revo 13 with the T&S to the lever system, which the first T&S still had. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

Now granted, that model does have the rudder than sticks straight out the back. So you're apt to bang and bump it in the shop or while transporting it. But that's about the only downside I know of.

The drive can indeed be fitted with Turbo or Turbo ST fins. Just make sure to get the right spines - these are fixed in place with a set screw.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, any of the Drives can be upgraded to Turbofins. You want to specify the V-1 kit. That Drive may be one of the last stainless sprocket Drives -- a great find, especially in that condition! (note, on the SS Drives the fin masts are held in place with cotter pins, not set screws -- use stainless pins only). They are a bit heavy, but very rugged and can handle Turbofins quite well. The Hobie paddle for that boat was made by Bending Branches, one of the best paddles Hobie has offered IMO (if you use paddles).

Unfortunately the rudder will not convert to a T&S. a couple of forum members have modified theirs though. Kepnutz made a sleeve for his old rudder and it seemed to work well for sailing. Stringy built a more elaborate conversion that actually did work as a T&S as well as a flip-up. That also worked beautifully. Try a search and I think you may find their detailed descriptions -- probably around 2007 or 2008.

Those old 8" hatches are interchangeable with the current design and are available through Hobie parts. Or you could have your local dealer keep an eye out for any hull exchanges -- you could salvage those hatches to replace the older ones.

The older hull design teeters a little bit with lighter users -- not really a stability issue though. There are a couple of coolers that seemed to fit that cargo well recess perfectly -- again check out the search feature. Check out older posts by Apalach. If you feel the asking price is a little on the high side, hull design could be a good negotiating point. Good luck!

Last edited by Roadrunner on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the updates. I had turned this down before I saw any replies. Might rethink. 10 years old but great shape...

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:16 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It looks like you need another boat for your fleet! :lol: Personally I think the asking price is a bit high for an aged boat like that, regardless of condition. You can always leave him an offer and your phone # in case no-one wants to pay his price. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I told her the price was high and suggested $1200. It has a set of wheels and some tie down straps. Also a speedometer...I paid $1200 for '06 with wheels, sail rudder, turbo fins and spare parts for Mirage Drive and $1000 for '08 without a paddle. Native Watercraft was $950 with wheels and Hobie Bimini...Great price on that...

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage