Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

How are you all? I love the outdoors and water and have been hoping to get a kayak for a while. I've only been in two kayaks in my life. Once in a single my buddy had (1/2 mile test ride) and once in a tandem on my honeymoon with my wife.

I stumbled across the Hobie kayaks with Mirage drive about a year ago and now stumbled upon this forum today! Cool forum and great info!

So, all you folks with lots of kayaking experience. Are the Hobie kayaks and the Mirage Drive way better than a traditional paddeling kayak? How do you compare (speed, distance possible, coasting, comfort, etc.)?

Any advice, experience, information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thebaker,
Welcome to the world of Hobie Kayaking. Yes, Mirage Drive kayaks are way better than traditional paddling yaks. Just kidding, they are not way better, they are just better for me. Many people like to paddle. The Mirage Drive just adds a new dimension to kayaking that is very appealing to me and apparently hundreds of others. I'm new to kayaking myself and bought an Adventure earlier this year and like it very much. It also paddles well when I want a change of pace. This site is very good, but also try the link below for some good discussions on Hobies. Read through some of the old threads to get a good feel for what people think of the Mirage Drive. Hobie is a great company that listens to suggestions and supports their customers much better than most other companies. Good luck in your info search!

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5086057385

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

thebaker wrote:
How do you compare (speed, distance possible, coasting, comfort, etc.)?Chad
Hi Chad and welcome! This depends on what model you're looking at. I like to go fast and have got the new Adventure past 7MPH with the stock fins and 7.8 (GPS) with the optional Turbofins, and I'm a pretty old, out of shape guy. The Adventure will cruise at 4.5 to 5 pretty easily, so you can travel a respectable distance compared to most conventional kayaks. When traveling against tide or wind, this makes a huge difference! Avid fishermen like the Outback and Adventure. Smaller adults and kids like the easy loading and manuverability of the Sport. We have a Tandem also and the wife likes that arrangement. You can also take it out as a single. The Classic was my first and great for just kayaking (not fishing or sailing).

I find them to be quite comfortable and stable. I've never been a kayaker -- used to bicycle, but found hassling the cars a real negative. What initially attracted me to the Hobie Mirage pedaling drive. There's not anything else like it. I tried a couple of conventional pedaling rigs and found the Hobie to be in an entirely different realm! I've been hooked ever since.

A lot of Hobie fans like the hands free propulsion and silent operation. If you like photography, you can sneak up on wildlife and keep your target in the viewfinder while approaching. Fishing in a current, you can hold your position with both hands free to fish. Well, you get the idea.

I view kayaking as great exercise. Being able to pedal and paddle gives a nice workout to arms and legs. You can even get a sail kit! The Hobies are a little pricier than many kayaks, but they more than make up for it in versatility and quality. Hobie has sold tens of thousands of these, yet you don't find many for sale used.

Go take one for a test drive and see what you think. 8)

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Chad and welcome :lol:

Its stays too cool up there and I suggest getting a Drysuit and PFD before you start testing kayaks. Only 65 today…what’s the water temp. Yes dress for the water temp not the air temp.

You have several kayak dealers who will let you test drive them before you make your decision.

I have the Adventure for the ocean. I use a smaller one on lakes and rivers. My choice for the Adventure was due to ability to sail, paddle, and pedal which will get me longer distances.

Advice: Test drive as many as you can. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comments and information fellas! I will be trying to test ride as many kayaks as possible the next few months. From all I've read, I think I would love a Hobie Mirage Drive kayak. I love the water and I enjoy bicycling, so it only seems to make sense!

Happy kayaking!