Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Outback dimensions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I'm ready to buy my new Outback but I'm running into a delay that one of you can probably help me with. Living in a moblie home park with overly-strict rules means I can't store the kayak in the backyard or in our carport...I need to store it under the house itself (and not tell the management, because they probably don't even want me to do that).

We have two access points right now, but neither one is large enough for the Outback to fit through. I plan on installing a new access door, but before I go cutting into the skirting I want to make sure the kayak will fit in the area I have in mind. I've run several searches on the dimensions of the Outback, and while I've found the length and width, nobody seems to have the height listed. If one of you Outback owners could measure the height (sans Mirage drive) of your yak for me, I'd be grateful. As soon as I can make a place to store the yak I'll buy it...and I'm dying to get on the water! :)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:27 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Our shipping guides tell us they are 16", now this is all packages up so maybe a bit less. However I would want about 20" of room so it have some room.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
866-sun-jamm
Panama City Beach, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="sunjammers"]Our shipping guides tell us they are 16", now this is all packages up so maybe a bit less. However I would want about 20" of room so it have some room.

Thanks, Brad. My guesstimate was about half of the width, so 15-17 inches is what I was assuming. But you know what they say about assumptions...I figured I'd better find out for sure before I pulled out the jig-saw. :wink: There is plenty of space under our house, but a steel support beam that runs about 20" high around the inside perimeter was making things difficult for me. Once I clear that I have over 3 feet to work with. I figure I'll make a PVC roller system to get the yak past the beam, then build a rack to store it on sideways. Lots of crawling on my part, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make! Now that I know I can clear it I can hit Home Depot for the material to get that door installed. So I can get my kayak. So I can get fishing! Rockfish season opens here in 12 days... :D

Thanks for the info!
Pete Rabbitt
Sunnyvale, CA