Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Come-on Hobie!!

It doesn’t take that much forethought to properly engineer the sidekick mounting hardware; I figured it out the second I tried sliding the AMA arms into the center tube. Obviously someone didn’t think that someone would ever mount a sidekick on a tandem like the Oasis in the middle where the hull gunnels are wider then the rear. If I chose the rear seat to mount the sidekick at it would interfere with the cart Trax II storage and not allow for optimum stabilization. Ive seen pictures of the sidekicks mounted in the middle of an oasis and the instructions don’t give a clue as to where the mounting options are for the different models, it just says “behind the seat”…. Which seat?? :?

Many here have mounted these in the middle of a tandem and I’m guessing had to modify it to do so. The hardware should accommodate this option, shouldn’t it?

If you bolt the mounts inboard as far as the gunnels will allow the tubing will land just over the mid point of the hold down rings which will not allow the AMA tubes to slid all the way in and click.

All you had to do was make the center tube ½ inch longer!!! :idea: Is that too much to ask? How could you not notice this before?

At the very least take the lazy route and modify the instructions to say that you must mount behind the rear seat on a tandem.

Now I have to modify the mounts by grinding a shoulder in them or make a new center bar (24 ½ in) from stock, I expect more for a $170.00.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was wondering if pear-shaped sidekicks could be made with viewing windows at the top and bottom to see into the water ? Or mabey I should just get an upside down periscope. :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kingdaddy wrote:
Come-on Hobie!!

It doesn’t take that much forethought to properly engineer the sidekick mounting hardware; I figured it out the second I tried sliding the AMA arms into the center tube. Obviously someone didn’t think that someone would ever mount a sidekick on a tandem like the Oasis in the middle where the hull gunnels are wider then the rear. If I chose the rear seat to mount the sidekick at it would interfere with the cart Trax II storage and not allow for optimum stabilization. Ive seen pictures of the sidekicks mounted in the middle of an oasis and the instructions don’t give a clue as to where the mounting options are for the different models, it just says “behind the seat”…. Which seat?? :?

Many here have mounted these in the middle of a tandem and I’m guessing had to modify it to do so. The hardware should accommodate this option, shouldn’t it?

If you bolt the mounts inboard as far as the gunnels will allow the tubing will land just over the mid point of the hold down rings which will not allow the AMA tubes to slid all the way in and click.

All you had to do was make the center tube ½ inch longer!!! :idea: Is that too much to ask? How could you not notice this before?

At the very least take the lazy route and modify the instructions to say that you must mount behind the rear seat on a tandem.

Now I have to modify the mounts by grinding a shoulder in them or make a new center bar (24 ½ in) from stock, I expect more for a $170.00.

Has this been fixed in 2013? I would like to mount the sidekicks on my 2013 oasis behind the front seat as well. Anyone done this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

motobob wrote:
kingdaddy wrote:
Come-on Hobie!!

Has this been fixed in 2013? I would like to mount the sidekicks on my 2013 oasis behind the front seat as well. Anyone done this?

Hey Bob, spend a little more money and get the Spring Creek Stabilizers. I have two sets of mounts (one behind front seat and one behind rear seat). I can easily move the stabilizers to either locations with just two clips. Really well made and rugged. The stabilizer pontoons are well designed as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[/quote]

Has this been fixed in 2013? I would like to mount the sidekicks on my 2013 oasis behind the front seat as well. Anyone done this?[/quote]

NO!! It has not, And yes all they had to do was make the damn thing 1/2" longer. This is a moronic oversight by Hobie.