Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an older Mirage with original style rudder. I cannot find info on restringing the steering and up down rudder control. The lines seem to have become entangled and replace with wire sometime in the past. The video link in the FAQS for this info is a dead end. I need a diagram, a source for cables, repair tips, or any advice the group may offer. Has anyone replaced the old style rudder with twist and stow?

I cannot possibly be the first with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Tom welcome to the forum. You're older style rudder is not convertable to the Twist N Stow, but there have been a couple of mods that seem to do a great job. Check this mod out by kepnutz:
kepnutz wrote:
Hi Ya Roadie-Ohr
That sure looks like fun. Nice to see you both enjoy using your new Tandem Oasis. I thought you would be trying to wear out that new A.I. all the time :wink:
Yeah I have canned that hatch in the back idea and have been putting the finishing touches on my larger Tandem sailing rudder instead.

I went out with a friend on Saturday for a trial run and my new rudder worked much better than the original stock design.
For the first time ever I was able to take my hand off the rudder control to put on sunscreen for a couple minutes while the boat mostly kept its course without immediately wibble-wabble wobbling all over the place. I was quite pleased because prior to that I was always making constant adjustments to keep the boat on any course and could never let go of the handle. I did not expect to have this result so that was a very nice suprise.

As for sailing in our light breeze that day, 6 to 9 mph, the rudder performed quite well and I was able to milk speed out of the gusts like never before. The boat was moving under sail power alone even up river against a fairly strong current as well as back and forth which was also a suprise.
Im no expert Kayak builder by any means, however it is now my humble opinion, based soley on my own limited experience, that the Tandem Oasis and perhaps maybe even the Outfitter too ought to come stock with a larger sail and a larger rudder. As long as Im dreaming I would also add a slightly stiffer mast and a removable boombat in order to improve overall sailing and handling performance given the added weight of boat and two adult passengers . The cost of these changes is minimal and enhances performance significantly..just my .02 cents (actually about $16.95 plus labor)
Have fun down there.. :lol:
..................Kepnutz

Stringy did a brilliant custom conversion of sorts and if you have the ability, you could try this. Unfortunately his "how to" pictures seem to have disappeared, but this shows what it looks like. You could contact him for more info:
stringy wrote:
I don't have an AI but I have just completed fitting a twist-n-stow assembly to my older tandem with the pull up rudder. I was able to run extra control lines (2mm spectra) alongside the existing lines inside the hull giving me control from the cockpit.
I have them exiting through a cleat which I use to lock the older pull up assembly down.
I'm wondering if you may be able to do something similar to lock your rudder down from the cockpit when needed? Maybe something like this:

You may be able to work out a way to attach the line end to the rudder that keeps tension on it and still allows it to turn.

As to what to use for line replacement, the current product, Spectra is hard to beat. It is shown in stringy's pics above. I think you can order an upgrade kit and adapt it to your Mirage Classic (?). This was offered as a universal conversion when Hobie first switched over to the pull handles and should adapt to any rudder style on any of the kayaks. It comes with rudder tubes and pull handles that you would install, or you could probably adapt it to your up/down lever. I'll see if I can find a part # from an old catalog. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I found 2 kits. There is an up/down kit that was designed for the Adventure Island including pull handles PN 81391002 for $96. You could adapt it to your boat. There is also a universal replacement kit that includes all 4 lines and tubes that you would use with your existing handles, PN 80020001 for $35. It might be the better bargain. If your old Mirage didn't have tubes, these tubes may facilitate getting the lines into the hull since the lines come pre-installed in the tubes. BTW, the tubes are to prevent small leaks from entering the hull through rudder line openings. I don't know what, if any instructions are included. Lastly, you could buy the Spectra alone and string it up from scratch.

You'll have to use a mirror through one of the hatches to see the layout and access, or better yet, take some pics that you can study.

Here's what I have from an old owners manual if it helps. There are no internal diagrams.
jpg images

image sharing

Here are some older part numbers:
photo host

Hope this helps. Good luck. If you get stuck, let us know. 8)