Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kayak Carts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Question 2. Carts: I need a cart to transport the kayak across sandy beaches. I don't want to purchase one of the Hobie "scupper" carts because I would like the cart to work with other brands of kayaks as well. Do you think the "universal heavy-duty" kayak cart from Hobie would work over sand? Would this cart fit inside the Adventure or strapped to the deck? Do most of you take your kayak carts along for the ride?
-Jonathan

Post subject: Middle cart or end cart?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So far no takers to my cart question; let me generalize it a bit. Shopping around I see there are carts that sit under the middle of the kayak and also carts that attach to one end of the kayak. Anyone have any perspective on the two different designs, especially in relation to the Adventure?
-Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jonathan'
While at the Va Beach I picked up a set of Roleez tote (188. pricey)and even though I have only used them a couple of times. They work great with the boat balanced it floats across the sand. They are bulky and I took the cart back to the car. I have a older ver of the outback without the larger hatches so I'm not sure how I would carry it yet, Maybe this weekend I will look in to this. I also have a small set of wheels that attach to the front of the boat for boat ramps. Way more work since you are lifting and pushing or dragging the yak around. These are useless in the sand Hope this helps Most places have a return if not happy. So buy and try. I did and decided to keep. Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made both a scupper dolly and a cradle dolly for my Quest. The scupper dolly works best on flat, hard surfaces. The cradle dolly is getting more use these days because I often haul my loaded kayak up and down steep, sandy hills and nasty wet rocks. In the dark.
You can see the cradle dolly if you click on the link below in my signature. I've been meaning to put the cradle dolly in there as well, but I've been a little busy. I should be able to take some photos on Friday and I'll try to get them up by the weekend.
Neither cart cost more than $40 and are pretty bulletproof.
If you can hang in there a couple days, I should be able to have the whole deal available by this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice cart, Ronbo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
You can see the cradle dolly if you click on the link below in my signature. I've been meaning to put the cradle dolly in there as well, but I've been a little busy. I should be able to take some photos on Friday and I'll try to get them up by the weekend.
Sorry, I meant to say you can see the scupper dolly by clicking the link, I'll try to get the cradle dolly pics this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's how to make a PVC cradle dolly:

Hobie Kayak Cradle Dolly

It's been tested over pretty harsh conditions, it works great, costs about $40 total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Havoc,

YES to all your questions. The Hobie heavy duty cart is good on sand, it is very adaptable to other yaks and the wheels come off easily and it fits in the front hatch of the Adventure. I have occassionaly taken it along for the ride and it seems to enjoy it immensly!! :D

The only thing I think it lacks is a kick stand so that it will stand up on its own for loading / unloading otherwise a great little cart.

Cheers
Mark

Post subject: carts carts carts
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark - do you think a kickstand would be helpful? Or is it simple enough to place the boat onthe cart without it?

Post subject: pvc cart
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ronbo
Your kayak carts are wonderful. Do you think I could make the top padded bars on t the cradle dolly so they are removable for transport? How about removable wheels? My car trunk is small. What would you suggest?
-Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could make the cart "collapsible" if you'd like. Instead of gluing the top pieces on, just push them together snugly, then drill a hole and stick one of those pins with a ring on one end and a ball bearing on the other(I forget what they are called, maybe clevis pins) through it.
Loading is simple. Lay the cart on the wheels and the end of the hull cradle, lift the boat on the cart and tilt the cart up. Basic.
Glad I had the cart today. I was out in the ocean and there was a thunderstorm about a mile in one direction and another storm cell in the other direction between me and the beach. Wind whipped up quickly, lightening on both sides. Had to hustle to the beach, hike to my truck, get the dolly and haul the kayak back. Too bad, the fish were really biting, but since Ben Franklin already discovered electricity via lightening, I figured it would be best to take a nice walk on the beach.

Post subject: Re: carts carts carts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Havoc wrote:
Mark - do you think a kickstand would be helpful? Or is it simple enough to place the boat onthe cart without it?

It is simple enough to place it on the cart without a stand but would be even simpler if it sat up waiting to be loaded..really not a big issue!

The Hobie carts are not cheap but then Im a bit of a purest...like to have all the same brand for some reason.

Cheers

Post subject: Hobie cart
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought Hobie plug-in cart with new Outback. Two problems - plastic thumb screws securing wheels to axle are hard to turn - should I lube the threads?
Also, the "hub caps" keep popping off.

Post subject: cart
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Ronbo I tried building a couple of plans and in the end ended up with your design --- simple ,clean and easy to make ..... I'll let you know how sturdy it is because I'm really hard on stuff ps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Money back guarantee on those cart designs.