Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought this new Kayak trolley for our Oasis and my Freedom Hawk.

We have the Hobie Wide Trax, and it works very well until we have to get it the scuppers while in the water or back out on the return trip. As I have posted before, this is a love/hate relationship.

My Freedom Hawk has a very wide stern and the girth around is about 8 feet.

I had a couple of pram/canoe carts, and they couldn't stay centered with the wide beam with the pontoons loaded inside or on the yak and the weight of the seat and gear overwhelmed them.

The Scupper Pup was a total whimp, and its wheels would pop off in the driveway before I could get it to my truck. It came with a flat and torn tire in the box. I got a new tire, and the cart was worthless regetting me to and from launch sites. The final insult was the next to impossible task of getting air into the innertube with the ridiculous short valve stem.

Next, I considered the original C Tug. While many users love it, many users have had the same problem with the tires and inner tubes like the Scupper Pup. They may use the same bad tires/tube.

C Tug has a new model with solid tubeless tires which shouldn't have the above problems. However, since it is a solid tire, there could be skidding problems on wet cement/dirt on a slope. I have a beach/fishing gear cart with basically the same solid wheels. It is a nightmare trying to take it down a wet boat wrap re skidding and wanting to go on its own way. That is not what I want with a fully loaded Oasis or Freedom Hawk or even a Revo 11 when one finds its way to me.

I did the research and checked out the reviews on Feel-Free-Camel-Kayak-Trolleys. Their system of loading a yak, particuliarly a wide and heavy one is similiar to loading a kneeling camel.

The Trolley is a little hard to assemble due to typical lack of good visual instructions and easy to see markings on the controls. It is heavy. My Camel weighs in at just under 13 pounds with the straps.

Fortunately the company has two good videos which solve the minor mysteries of assembly, rigging to the yaks and removal of the trolley.

Once I got this figured out and with a couple of practice loading attempts, I was able to quickly, safely and with minimal strain load the Freedom Hawk unto the trolley.

After you load it on the kneeling "Camel" you simply tighten up on the included strap which was more than long enough to go around my big butted Freedom Hawk, and the Came lifts/comes up and is ready to pull.

We live on a short but steep hill that goes from 40' in altitude to over 450' in about 150 yards.

The trolley had no problem pulling the FH 12 up and down the hill. I brought it back into the carport, and put the pontoons, seat, anchors and other gear into the yak. I lowered the Camel and recentered it on the bottom of the FH 12.
Then, I restrapped it, and I went up and down the hill again with no problem.

I took the gear out and took the FH body around to the bed of my Ridgeline with the tail gate down. The Ridgeline was on a flat/dry surface.. It was no problem getting the bow up on the tailgate, releasing the strap, and the Camel dropped down. I loosed and let the strap dropped to the driveway. Then I lifted the stern up without the Camel and pushed the yak into the bed of the Ridgeline. Then, I reversed the procedure and reloaded the FH and strapped it on the Camel and rolled my yak to my carport shed.

When I use a boat launch ramp, I may carry a 1" X 4" 2' long board to keep the wheels from rolling down hill during the reloading process.

Cons at this time.
1. Weight with the strap is 13 #'s.
2. Getting it ready to load and unload is so new, I have to really think. That will be resolved with use and practice.
3. Storage on the yak while yakking, may be a problem. At this time, I will just fold it down and use the strap to strap it on the back of my yaks.
4. The lock and unlock position markers on the wheels and Camel are basically unreadable as they are very small and in the same color of where they are.
5. When folded down, you could store it nside a yak, but I don't want a 13# solid object inside my Hobie sliding around and hitting my steering cables.

Pros at this time:
1. Camel is very sturdy and handled a wide/heavy load with no problem.
2. Videos with the 2 dimensional package insert enabled me to get the wheels on the Camel and to use it.
3. Easy re loading a yak on and getting it ready to roll and vice versa when reloading it for the trip back to your vehicle.
4. The Camel handled our hill and driveway with the heavy yak with no problems. Other yak carts/carriers failed on the hill or in the driveway or both.
5. Cost at $129 is in the ball park. Back surgery or a retorn rotator cuff or bicep head is a lot more expensive and painful.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/562 ... olley.html