Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently picked up an Outback with all the goodies including a sail kit 8)

I would've preferred a tandem, but the deal was too good to pass up :)

The maiden voyage was last night in my pool and I immediately rolled, so I have a lot to learn lol :oops:

Anyhoo, I had a few questions:

1) Where could I find a diagram for the sail cable route?

2) The rudder has two control handles...one that steers (left) and one that stows (right)
Is the rudders supposed to lift on its own? (mine just kinda goes limp, but can easily be raised by hand)

3) Other than rinsing thoroughly with fresh water, what steps do I need to take to keep the drive working smoothly? (the previous owner said rinsing shoul dbe enough)

4) Is there anything I can do about the light sand scratches on the bottom?
I figure I could wetsand, but I'm open to suggestions.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can't help you with the sail questions,the left hand foward pull handle raises the rudder,the large grey one is your tiller.
The drive can/should be washed down with fresh water and lubed with WD 40 or Break Free on all the moving areas.

Robin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry forgot,lot's of info in the Mirage Drive FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RobinA wrote:
Can't help you with the sail questions,the left hand foward pull handle raises the rudder,the large grey one is your tiller.

That's odd :?

The left hand lever on mine controls steering (L/R) and the lever on the right looses the rudder to bring it up or down....

Thing is, mine doesn't come up on its own (goes down solid though)

rick <----heading over to the FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Your boat is a bit older.

The up / down lever on your right (hip) pulls the rudder up only about 90 degrees. That version never fully raised onto the deck. You can adjust internal lines to give it more pull if not working. There is a support piece on that:

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/kayaks/

Quote:
Original Rudder - Lever Up-Down
Hobie Mirage rudder line replacement PDF (114 KB)

Video Tech Help for Original Rudders
(Windows Media Player Required)
May require a Microsoft Media Player Upgrade.

For Best Results, Save the Videos to your PC:
1. Click the link with the Right mouse button.
2. Choose "Save target As..." and select a location
(High speed connections can play video directly from our server)

Original Hobie Mirage Rudder Installation Video
(1 min 50 sec / 10 MB)
Original Hobie Mirage Steering Adjustments Video
(2 min 40 sec / 15 MB)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Re the sail.

There should be a bungee loop at the bottom of the sail - hook this to the fitting provided on the boat just below the mast base - this stops the sail & mast falling off if you turn turtle with the sail up.

The lead of the rope that you use to trim the sail (the "sheet") looks just about OK in your photo (from what I can see of it). It should go from the "clew" of the sail to the padeye in front of the rudder at the stern of the boat then along the deck to the cockpit...

Most advice you will find here (including my own) is that you should used very small free-running "blocks" (i.e. pulleys) to reduce friction in the sheet so that if you let go of the sheet when sailing, the sail will de-power as quickly as possible (this helps prevent a wind-driven capsize). Get marine blocks (Ronstan/Harken or similar) - such as used on small dinghies - and the smallest ones you can find should do the trick - don't get ones with swivels as these tend to twist & lock your lines.

I recommend 2 blocks: one on the rear padeye (the sheet runs through the block rather than the padeye!) and towards the front of the cockpit on one side or the other (I think the RHS works well on the OB). The sheet then comes forward from the rear block to the front of the cockpit, through this block, and back to the helmsman's hand. This way you pull on the sheet to pull the sail in - which I find more comfortable & natural than trying to "push" on the sheet to pull the sail in (which is what you have to do if you do not have the forward block).

You may have to replace the standard sheet, if that is what you have, with a longer piece of rope to get it to reach forwards & then back & provide enough length to let the sail out and pull it in. You don't need any kind of fancy & expensive low-stretch yachting rope just get something nice & floppy -preferably not three-strand rope though, because it tends to kink & then may not run cleanly through the blocks when you need it to - the loads are small so just about any line will do but you will find that if it is too thin it will be tiring to hold so get it thick enough that you can grip it but thin enough that it will run freely & cleanly through your blocks without "choking".

Don't worry about getting fancy fittings or drilling holes to attach these blocks - just tie them on to an appropriate fitting with a few loops through of light line of your chosen colour so that the blocks can move reasonably freely - the loads are tiny so there's very little risk of the line breaking and that way you save $ and you can always untie them to move them if you want to.

If you haven't sailed one of these before choose ideal conditions until you know what you & the boat can/can't do.

Re the scratches:
Leave 'em alone & forget about them: they're on the bottom. One of my boats (2nd hand I should add) had been dragged over oyster beds & the bottom had deep gouges in it. Didn't look like much but wasn't a problem. I used a water blaster to clean the grime out of them & then you could hardly see them. don't sand - you will thin the hull and introduce tiny little scratches which are just as/more unsightly & would be very difficult to polish out - and in any case you now have better things to do (like going sailing).

Enjoy.

P.S. I really like the look of your boatshed - complete with sail loft & testing tank - and I like the cunning transparent weather-watching panels - I'm very envious :mrgreen: