Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Happy Independence Day!

Rigging thoughts for my Hobie Adventure so far:

1. Keep lurking in online forums, read articles, etc. – try not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks to RoadRunner, OffRoad, the Hobie, KFS, and TopKayaker forums, and others for rigging ideas.

2. The boat needs many more padeyes to accommodate leashes and lines. So far want to put padeyes (1 & 2) inside each mesh pocket for tool leashes, add two padeyes (3 & 4) using the fasteners for the forward Scotty rod holders (add a second identical setup on port side to mirror factory installed holder (5 & 6)).

3. Also add cleats with eyes: one below the mast bungee holder to leash the Mirage drive (1), one in front of each forward rod holder (2 & 3), and one on the bow deck (4) (among other things to hook the bottom-of-mast- bungee loop to help stow and transport the mast on the starboard while on the water).

4. Already added a swiveling Harken block to the stern boat handle padeye for the main sail line to run through.. Add a piece of main sail sheet hardware (?block? faireye?) to run the line from the stern Harken block outboard to starboard / right to let the line run free of whatever is in the behind-set well. Add a Harken block forward so main sail line can run through it and back to hand to trim the sail. Maybe a cam cleat handy to secure the main sail line once the trim is acceptable.

5. Going to need a longer mail sail line / sheet to make this rig work and allow the sail to be deployed / taken down for stowing without the need to re-string the line through the stern block(s). Going to leave a knotted tag end at the sail attachment grommet to loop over the furled sail and secure on the factory –installed plastic hook, as suggested by RoadRunner.

6. Going to pass on the use of a snap attachment of the sheet / line at the sail grommet and the use of ball-bungees to hold the sail furled for now.

7. Tried putting my existing fishing rods into the kayak hatches. Because I am by nature a frequent solo fisherman, sailor, etc. I focused on the use of the hatch just forward of the seat. Without alarming bending scraping of rods this is not a good situation for me, even with shorter two-piece rods. I measured the clearance without bending as about 30 inches to stern and 24 inches forward. I guess I am in the market for multi-piece or telescoping rods for the first time since my backpacking days.

8. Tom Holtey’s articles at KFS on kayak camping and how to load gear in your kayak very helpful.

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Tour ... index.html

Guess many dry / floatation bags in my future. Think I will be adding some padeyes inside the hull to leash the dry / floatation bags, fishing rod cases, etc. Where it makes sense I will “doubleâ€