Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Evolve 2 Failures
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought one of the first evolve2 in July of 2011. I've used it 3 times because I still prefer my mirage drive. On the 4 th outing my evolve 2 quit working with the error 45 message. I am working through the dealer I bought it from but no help yet. I have also contacted hobie directly to see if they can help and nothing yet. I hope others are having success with the evolve 2. I've had a very expensive and disappointing experience so far

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hallscreek wrote:
I bought one of the first evolve2 in July of 2011. I've used it 3 times because I still prefer my mirage drive. On the 4 th outing my evolve 2 quit working with the error 45 message. I am working through the dealer I bought it from but no help yet. I have also contacted hobie directly to see if they can help and nothing yet. I hope others are having success with the evolve 2. I've had a very expensive and disappointing experience so far

again, Torqeedo has a direct contact here:

You can contact Torqeedo Inc

Sven Kirchhoff | Service & Quality Manager

Torqeedo, Inc | 171 Erick Street, Unit A-1 | Crystal Lake, IL 60014 | United States | » http://www.torqeedo.com | »http://www.facebook.com/torqeedo
[email protected] | P 1-815-444-8806 x303 | F 1-815-444-8807 | C 1-847-347-6228

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had my Evolve since the first of June on my Oasis that I bought May 7th, 2013. I installed it on the rudder for 2 reasons: 1] I want to be able to assist with the Mirage drive & 2] It is more quiet on the rear vs. between my legs, especially when trying to talk to my wife in front of it. [I've tried it both ways.]

So I've used my Evolve for right at a month now & on July 4th, I received the E30 error code. I connnected/disconnected everything & it would not go away & while it didn't ruin our day, it did force us to change plans. I used the info on this post & found that everything works if I take the 12-14' cable out of the equation & plug the battery directly to the motor. Today I talked to Torqeedo & they had me inspect the ends. It appears there are 4 large pins & 4 small pins in the male end. One of the small pins is missing. Since they assume I must have damaged it somehow, I get to buy a new one.

I will see if I get more than 30 days out of this one. I'm pretty good with electronics/motors but am sure I'm not perfect all the time. This appears to be a pretty robust connection so I'm not sure how I could have damaged it. I will pay particular attention to this when fastening it to the battery in the future for sure!

I LOVE the engine & the versatility it gives me on the river we live on. If I could change one thing...Why can't it be as Quiet as all other electric motors I've used in the past & my friends which are whisper quiet? The noise level of the Torqeedo is not acceptable for an electric motor IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You will see from my last comment that I have been having a lot of fun on the water since my last Evolve repair.....however, last Easter, I went bass fishing on Tallowa Dam for a few days and as I pushed off from shore for the 9 kilometre trip to the camping / fishing grounds in my fully laden Oasis I got yet another Evolve error message!!! No motor for 3 days and about 40 kilometres of pedalling. Bugger! I had to take the motor off my rudder and sent it with the battery and all cables to Torqeedo via my Hobie dealer. It seems the motor had taken in water and seized ( no damage or misuse on my part) so the motor head was replaced under warranty after a couple of weeks. The frustrating thing for me is that I have to drive for half an hour to get the failed gear to Hobie, then go back and pick it up again and reassemble it. It might be time to push for some compensation. A freeby or 2 perhaps. I'm losing count but I think this is my fourth or fifth battery and/or motor failure in 18 months. In 2 days time I am heading to the south coast of New South Wales for a week of kayak fishing (with all my toes and fingers crossed). The Evolve 2 reminds me of a beautiful brand new Alfa Romeo I owned in my younger years.....brilliant but unreliable.