I bought a very lightly used 2006 outback and thought I had a great deal until I read the forums here and discovered the potential drivewell problems and cracking. After reading the various forums and the excellent information from roadrunner I recorded my attempt at a fix to prevent future problems . Hope it helps other owners of the older models.
I started by checking the hull number with my local dealer (blackcreek outfitters) and they ordered the drivewell retrofit kit for me at no charge. The longer tapered bolts in the retrofit kit were needed but I must of had a hull made after Hobie started to change things because my hull had the brass insert under the forward drive pocket.
I still used the fiberglass reinforcement from the kit but had to trim off the bottom part where it hits the brass insert. It was easy to trim the lower part to fit but take your time and grind off small amounts until it just slips right into place. I then used the glue and instructions from the kit for attachment. The bottom hollow area will get filled with the 3m glue later.
Next up was trimming some 1 inch pvc to fit around the cam
towers. Lots of trial and error here but I finally got the measurements that will work good for the early outback models. Different years and hull types will have different measurements but the method is the same if you are fixing the cam
lock system. The plastic in the cam
towers is by no means exact so just take your time and make several dry runs to check the fit as some trimming of the pvc might be needed.
As far as the pvc goes I ended up with a 2 inch long piece with a bevel on one end for the hull side and a square cut on the other end at the top of the cam
tower. Cut the pvc square on on end then measure 1 3/4 inches along one side of the pvc and make a mark. Then on the other side of the pvc measure 2 inches and make a mark. Line your saw up using the marks so you cut the pipe at an angle.
Here is the cam
tower side cut square and showing the pipe already cut in half lengthwise. Notice I rounded off all the edges on both ends with my grinder so no sharp edges will press into the hull.
Here is the dry fit, go in the front or seat hatch for each side.
After everything is test fit sand all areas down that will come into contact with the glue including the inside and outside of the pvc and the front drivewell pocket. I hit it with a shop vac then rubbed it all clean with rubbing alcohol.
Next up is mixing the glue. I used the NS glue and also bought the plastic plunger that the dispensing gun uses. Plunger is part number 1GLZ2 from Grainger supply and I think the 3M part number is the same. You can easily use the plunger by hand to squeeze out the proper amount. Turn the nozzle cap 90 degrees and it just pulls off. I got the plunger for 8 bucks but I got to pay jobber prices through work, maybe 10 or 12 bucks for it retail and you can use it over and over if you ever need it again.
I used 1/2 tube for each side to attach the pvc to the cam
towers. I don't think you could use much more than a half tube at a time as the stuff sets up in minutes so you better have your game on. The last 3 to 4 notches on the plunger are still visible when the tube is empty so mark your plunger accordingly with a piece of tape for the first half of each tube.
I squirt half the tube out on a plastic lid mixed it well then filled a pvc piece with half the 3m filling and went in the front hatch and stuck it on then filled the other pvc half and went in through the rear hatch. Filling the pvc with the glue really helped in transporting the glue to the area needed without making a mess. A bit will squirt out the top and bottom so when adjusting the pvc halves together spread the overflow around the cam
tower area and bridge the gap to the drive axle area. You will be doing this by feel so practice the reach needed dry first.
Here is the initial half tube, I will come back later and fill in with more glue at the top and bottom. Lather,rinse,repeat on the other cam
I let the glue set for an hour or so then I used a second tube and dispensed only a third this time. I used 1/3 tube on each cam
tower to fill in the gaps at each end of the pvc to help spread the load. The last 1/3 tube I used to fill in the hollow area behind the brass insert.
Finished forward drive well.
Hope this helps.