Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to launch and possibly store my new adventure from my boat lift. Recommendations on bunk design? My supporting beams (perpendicular to boat) are 9 feet apart, so bunks and boat need to be suspended between them. Is it okay to store boat on bunks? Any advice would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not have any experience with Boat lifts, however I have spent hundreds of hours configuring and reconfiguring my trailer for two AIs. Boat bunks, cradles, & finally PVC.

What I found with having two AIs is that the bottom hull contours are different on each boat (different on my two). The boat bunks worked ok, but do not conform to the hull shape. One of my AIs sat fairly well on the bunks (7ft bunks in the back, 3ft toward the front), but the other one did not. I would think that leaving the AI out on a lift in the heat with wooden bunks may cause warping. Add a tarp over the boat & the heat probably gets even hotter inside...

I recently switched to the PVC method using 2.5" 10ft and couldn't be happier. I wonder if you could build a rectangle frame that would go on your current set up that would hold the PVC tubes.

Just my two cents, good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have used my boat lift to store and launch my TI for 2 years and feel it is the only way to go. It is so easy to rig the kayak, get in, push the power down button, float off the lift and go. Returning is just as easy. Float into the slip, push the power up button and walk off. I mounted Hobie cradles on the bunks. They are designed to conform to the hull shape and I have not had any problem with hull deformity.