Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

7-9-06: Captain shreds Carrot, lands on Island.

Crew (aka darn cat) waved his tail in amusement as Procurement Officer tried not to run. PO’s red face and scuttling feet as he all but jumped into his vehicle and left – no fled – the base and his briefing with Captain were classic: military intelligence had lived down to its name again. The only question now was what would be the fate of The Carrot.

Captain emerged from his office to walk the perimeter. Crew knew the signs: Captain’s pace was deliberate, almost mechanically precise, and his body language was too controlled, too quiet. Crew knew this was the same “quietâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don,
I feel your pain, but I would not be in too much of a hurry to jump on the BigAI bandwagon just yet. Based on the initial reports, and my limited understanding of how it is built, it seems to me that the BigAI is a different breed of cat (sorry, Crew) than the basic BigA. The BigAI is much more along the lines of a Hobie sailing-type craft than a fishing or touring kayak. It will be a bear to load (i.e., cartop) or trailer unless the amas are easily detachable. Plus the amas themselves (if detached) will take up a goodly amount of room in the back of your SUV/car/truck. And I shudder to think of the extra weight involved (oh, my aching back!) in heaving such a boat around.

So, my first take on the situation is that unless you are heavily into sailing, and especially kayak sailing, then the BigAI may not be the best yak for most folks who want a boat for all-around use--touring, photography, fishing, AND sailing. I mean, I love sailing a Mirage drive boat, but when I consider how often I actually do that, it is such a minuscule amount of time (relatively speaking) that I am perfectly happy with my OB and Sport, and do not need a yak more specifically designed for sailing. If I was you, I would still stick with the basic BigA, or other Mirage drive craft, unless I could find a more compelling reason to "upgrade" than just to have a better sailing capability. And I still have my loverly home-made lobster pot buoy outrigger/amas that I much prefer (small, easily transportable, easily adjustable, easily removable, lots of buoyancy, etc.) to what I have seen so far on the BigAI. Just my $.02 worth.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can also appreciate StocktonDan's reaction to the Island. My initial reaction was the same. We just took delivery of two Adventures a week and a few days ago. Two days after getting our brand new Adventures and sail kits, I saw the ad in National Geographic Adventure and quickly proceeded to make inquiries about it (including the abilty to upgrade).

While I see many aspects of the Island that I like, I drew a similar conclusion as Appalach did and would have made the same choice today, even it the Island had been available. Of course, we need seating for two, therefore we would need TWO Islands -- much more costly and difficult to manage than our two Adventures or a even a Bravo. While I love sailing, and have owned many sail boats, the reality is the wind is just not always blowing where we live, which is a big part of the reason for our decision to go with a versatile craft such as the Adventure.

Regardless, I remain sympathetic to StocktonDan, given his priorities are different than ours. I too would be displeased if the Island had been a better fit for us.