Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys,
Looking for advise from someone with first hand experiance.
I have ordered the Hobie eVolve system, and intend to use the rudder mount.
My question is, does the mounting of the rudder mount have any negative effects with the handling of the kayak or steering ability when peddling only?
Is the twist & stow rudder with the "T" handles subjected to extra strain when lifting the rudder for shallow water?
Any other tips to know before I set it up?
Thanks in advance.
Montedane.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

montedane wrote:
...does the mounting of the rudder mount have any negative effects with the handling of the kayak or steering ability when peddling only?
Under pedal power only, you can expect the drag from the motor to slow you down about .3 MPH +/- at "fast" cruise compared with the the conventional rudder. There is no problem with rudder control, although at that speed the prop whirs and there was a constant left rudder input. For silent operation, the prop stops spinning at about 2.5 MPH and starts up somewhere around 4 +/- MPH. This may vary from one unit to another and over time.
Quote:
Is the twist & stow rudder with the "T" handles subjected to extra strain when lifting the rudder for shallow water?
You shouldn't have any difficulties. You don't need to lock the rudder down unless going backwards, so it will kick up over an obstruction (or you can haul it up ahead of time)

Installation note: Be sure to allow plenty of slack at the plug-in point to avoid creating any the pressure on the rudder line (below left) or strain on the plug (below, right):
Image Image

So plan your hole locations accordingly. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone please advise if it's practically feasible that an evolve motor is mounted on the rudder before launching and de-mounted after landed every time? I mean how difficult it would be or how long does it take to do so. Reason being that motorized kayak is only allowed in certain places here and the added weight of the motor could make the roofrack loading/unloading difficult for me. Appreciate any advice.

ty Chen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

TY Chen wrote:
Can someone please advise if it's practically feasible that an evolve motor is mounted on the rudder before launching and de-mounted after landed every time? I mean how difficult it would be or how long does it take to do so.
The rudder/evolve is held on by 6 Philips head screws. If you use an electric screw driver and epoxy the nuts in place, it should go pretty fast once you get the hang of it. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi Roadrunner,

Thanks a lot for the advice. So it's doable. Wish Hobie could make another 'click n go' for the evolve rudder mount. :D

ty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi Roadrunner,

By the way, is my understanding correct that an additional connection cable (between the battery and the motor) needs to be ordered if one wants to make both mount options available in the same kayak. Thanks.

ty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I think you would just re-route the cable and order a second set of thru-hull fittings. Check with Hobie to see if they have it as a kit. Here's the parts diagram: http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/suppor ... _Parts.pdf
8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot for the valuable advice and the attached parts diagram. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Ty,
Have you thought about just removing the propeller for the motor?
It seems like this would be a easier answer, than removing the whole rudder assembly.
Montedane.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi Montdane,

Thanks. Do you mean make it seemingly not a motor to fulfill the regulation? :?:

ty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know roughly the weight of the evolve2 motor body+propeller using in the rudder mount? Thanks.