Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

don't get me wrong. it looks badass!!! probably is!!!
i can't get one. i only purchased my hobie adventure kayak 3 months ago and i'm not finished playing with it yet. what i'd like to see are a few options for us that aren't going to get the latest and greatest. the turbo fins are a great start with the addition of the daggerboard and the sidekicks almost everything i'd want to add. all easily. a longer mast or an insert that could go between the two current poles would be nice. of course, with a longer mast i'd have to have a larger sail.
the first time i saw a picture of the AI i said "whoooaaah". i was seriously disappointed with what i already had, after a few days i realized what i have isn't bad at all and is more in line with what i want and plan on doing-paddling into narrow creeks and pedaling in the intracoastal waterways with a sail assist.
yesterday i rented and sailed a hobie wave catamarran after 40 minutes of instruction i was on my own. what a blast!!! it will probably be my next purchase.....or should i wait for the next hobie surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:20 am 
Hobie Team Member

I'm in the same boat and situation.

Going to wring out the sail and Sidekick combo for trolling.

One thing I know for the current setup versus the Island.

I can unstep the mast fairly quickly. If Sidekick shaves some more time off due to increased stability the Island will have to have a comparable time . Plus the ability to retract ama with one hand. With a single iako, Sidekick looks eaiser to fight a fish with ama extended than the Island with two iako per ama to worry about.

If Island turns out to be a super fishing yak, I can worry about it in 6-8 months. Probably take longer than that to get a good comparison.

Post subject: new Islander
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My first reaction when seeing the new islander was to covet it. But I realized once again that the basic Adventure is ideal for me in terms of weight of the boat, ease of transport, and limited setup time. Getting an Adventure Islander would be moving back in the direction that I came from...I used to have a 19 foot sloop with a cabin...more boat than I wanted after a while...the Adventure with sailing kit is perfect for me.