Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Hobie Oasis tandem (14'6) is rock solid secure and you don't know it's on top ever when driving at high speeds. It is great to solo in with a 550 lb capacity and is a battle ship of a yak.

If anyone has a tandem that they want to solo in, but thought it was too heavy to handle loading on your car, NO WORRIES. My VW GTI is a small car BUT my 2011 Hobie Oasis tandem is 14'6, and is longer than my car. Big yak on a little car. Is this impractical? Just the opposite, it's perfect. I have two herniated discs and these yaks aren't something you just toss on your roof. Look below and see how Pat at Jersey Paddler in Brick NJ set me up. I can go 70 mph and the thing doesn't budge or begin to move. You hardly realize that the thing is up there.

My Oasis and the Hullavator is my perfect solution. This Hullavator was worth every penny and it is great design. If you are in New Jersey, see Pat at Jersey Paddler, the man loves his work and treats people like gold. When you hear about great customer service for Hobies, and yak fishing, it doesn't get better than Pat!

Bumper tow eye. I have two to secure the yak lines.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

Last edited by 65Strad on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a hint: Place the yak upside down on the car top and center it. You will get better gas milage. I did. If the top is up for some reason there is more drag. But down the yak acts like a foil and help with the air flow. Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When you solo in the Oasis, do you prefer the front or rear seat? Do you use any ballast? I am considering one, but I am just concerned with the solo characteristics.

Herb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A really clever set up, a real back saver!
For some odd reason the Hullavator is not available in Europe.
I mailed Thule and they gave no reason, the only way to get one is ordering one in the USA I think.
I to wonder if it wouldn't be better to put the kayak upside down.
That's the way I transport mine on the car, the drag is lower.
Do you think it is possible to put the Oasis upside down on the Hullavator?
As from what I have read about the Hullavator it is not possible to center the kayak on the roof because the lift must be near one of the sides.
Thanks for sharing, nice clear pictures.

Thierry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I imagine that put upside down it would reduce drag. My trips are local and I mount it topside for two primary reasons.

1. I have mounted two additional grip handles; one just in front of the rear hatch and the other just behind the rear seat so I could lift it by myself to the Hullavator cradle when soloing and it works like a charm. You can see the two handles is a couple od the pictures, particularly where the Oasis is on it's side on the cradle.

2. I usually launch within 10 minutes or less from my house, I launch right side up and it gives me access to the additional grip handles to unload, otherwise without a second person it would be almost impossible to handle because of the wide spacing of the softgrip handles. That being said, if I were to take a trip to see family in Virginia Beach, I would mount it upside down with help for the aerodynamic benefits. REgarding centering, the Hullavator system cradle is to the side to allow extension beyond the car to avoid contact/damage to the side of the vehicle.

In regard to ballast: I found my perfect solution, and this kayak is a battleship, and once the ballast was dialed in , it became a very capable and stable kayak. First of all I'm 270lbs. and without the ballast, the bow would be high out of the water and it wouldn't track properly so... the solution: Is the Straight Line Sumo Seat Sac 125lbs wakeboard waterbag http://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line ... 25.html#sf. I partially fill the bag, perhaps half full, and place it far forward of the front seat and use the Oasis's bungee to secure it and the bow sits very level and it cuts through the swells and tracks very well.

Initially I wasn't happy with the Oasis due to my initial impression that as a tandem it would be impractical to solo in due to the weight, spacing of the handles and the ballast issue. Now that I have the solution to all of these issues, I feel that it is one of the more capable Hobie Mirage models.

I hope my solutions may be useful to others that are considering the Oasis. It is really a great kayak.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom thanks for posting this.

When we bought our 2009 Oasis, the dealer didn't recommend the Hullavator, we bought a Malone trailer. The cost was about the same. Since then, the specs of the Hullavator apparently have increased load wise. You are proof that it works.

The tongue on the Malone is too long and makes it very difficult to back up.

I would prefer to use a Hullavator for the ease of getting to the water/launch site and not dealing with a trailer and the straps to secure the Oasis. We now use the same fore and aft straps so we would only be dealing with the two straps to hold the yak in the Hullavator for a total of 4 simple straps. Also, if you stay at a inn or a rental home, trailers can be a real problem.

Do you have any photos and or tricks to load your Oasis. Getting it down would be easier as gravity is helping.

Thanks for your time and great photos.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, it looks like your tires are flat. :shock: Be careful taking a sharp left. I like it,I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody else thinking of this:

Being poor, I have a homemade rack for my Oasis Tandem. Two aluminum pipes with bungee cords to hold them to the existing rails, and four straps = $30. Surprisingly easy to load doing it from the side and don't have to leave the rack on the roof.

To Load: I approach the Jeep from the side, lift one end of the kayak up to the side rail, slide it up a bit, then lift the back end off the ground and walk it around to the back.

I'm also a big guy and used to put a cement block (!) in the front when ocean kayaking alone, --but soon realized I could move faster and turn sharper without the extra weight.
-Neil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grampa Spey wrote:
Tom thanks for posting this.

When we bought our 2009 Oasis, the dealer didn't recommend the Hullavator, we bought a Malone trailer. The cost was about the same. Since then, the specs of the Hullavator apparently have increased load wise. You are proof that it works.

The tongue on the Malone is too long and makes it very difficult to back up.

I would prefer to use a Hullavator for the ease of getting to the water/launch site and not dealing with a trailer and the straps to secure the Oasis. We now use the same fore and aft straps so we would only be dealing with the two straps to hold the yak in the Hullavator for a total of 4 simple straps. Also, if you stay at a inn or a rental home, trailers can be a real problem.

Do you have any photos and or tricks to load your Oasis. Getting it down would be easier as gravity is helping.

Thanks for your time and great photos.

Dave

Dave, glad that my experience is of some help/use to anyone. Crazy work schedule. I'll respond soon and will take some more photos to show how easy it is to remove the cradles off the rack and additional grip handles for those that wish to solo. Thule Hullavator= fantastic solution for me regardless if using the Explorer or VW.

By the way, I agree although it does looks like the Flintstone car :lol: , you can hardly tell the Oasis is up there when driving. Low profile tires do indeed almost look flat at times, but they allow incredible cornering with the battleship topside. It's pretty easy to toss around even with the Oasis on top.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinwater skinner wrote:
Here is a hint: Place the yak upside down on the car top and center it. You will get better gas milage. I did. If the top is up for some reason there is more drag. But down the yak acts like a foil and help with the air flow. Good Luck

I've found placing the yaks upside down on the hullavator also allows very easy insertion of cart into scupper holes while kayak/hullavator is on the 'down' position. Also, less likely to get dents in bottom of hull when kayak is on hullavator all day in hot sun!

Hullavator is well worth it, use it to easily transport my Revo, AI and Oasis. Price was up there, but avoiding back injury......priceless!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bjb wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:

I've found placing the yaks upside down on the hullavator also allows very easy insertion of cart into scupper holes while kayak/hullavator is on the 'down' position. Also, less likely to get dents in bottom of hull when kayak is on hullavator all day in hot sun!

Hullavator is well worth it, use it to easily transport my Revo, AI and Oasis. Price was up there, but avoiding back injury......priceless!

Bob, I'll be taking a road trip next week and will be putting the Oasis "hull side up" for the trip for all of the benefits listed above. I hadn't taken into account the easy insertion of the cart into the scupper holes when taking the yak off the cradles. That's a great benefit, and it'll help minimize scratching and marring of the hull if you aren't lowering onto or sand.

Question: I mainly solo, but will be taking a trip with the wife for this trip. Have you ever gone solo in your Oasis, and if so, and if you loaded your Oasis "hull side up (while solo), how were you able to place the yak in cradles without the benefit of the assistance of grip handles since they wouldn't be accessible unless " hull side up" in the cradle?

I appreciate people sharing these ideas to making kayking in general, and soloing in particular easier and more enjoyable. The Hullavator is an awesome inovation. Hauling an Oasis isn't a lightweight experience. Having the right equipment (Hullavator) and the benefit of the experiences of those that have learned tricks/techniques making it easier/better, also priceless. Thanks for sharing.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sunday wrote:
I'm also a big guy and used to put a cement block (!) in the front when ocean kayaking alone, --but soon realized I could move faster and turn sharper without the extra weight.
-Neil

Neil without the ballast in front, how do you keep the bow level enough to maintain good tracking and turning? Do you sit up front. I use the SUMO SAC 125. It has handles that won't tear away and since it can be put far forward it doesn't need to be full to maintain a level/even attitude. http://www.slsports.com/img/bigbag/big/ ... sac125.jpg

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, do you put your Oasis on the hullavator by your self?

Do your have any extra handles on your Oasis to help lift it? If so, where are the extra handles on your Oasis.

When you put your Oasis on the HV, do your use your cart to help elevate your Oasis to fit it in the HV's arms?

The reason for all the questions, due to my wife breaking her wrist last Friday, we will not be able to use our Oasis or a couple of months, unless I can get in on/off a hullavator by myself.

Thanks

Dave

bjb wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Question: "I mainly solo, but will be taking a trip with the wife for this trip. Have you ever gone solo in your Oasis, and if so, and if you loaded your Oasis "hull side up (while solo), how were you able to place the yak in cradles without the benefit of the assistance of grip handles since they wouldn't be accessible unless " hull side up" in the cradle?"