Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

when i start peddling hard my cable pops off the pulley. i have tightned it up but it still does it. any help?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Which cable? Which pulley? What version drive do you have ? (Plastic sprockets or metal sprockets?) Do you have any broken teeth on the sprockets? Are the cables all in good condition?

Either way what you describe suggests poor adjustment of the various cables on the drive. There is a lot of detailed advice on how to properly adjust the drive on these forums (see Hobie Mirage Drive - FAQ forum) and it isn't hard to do.

It may be counter intuitive but just cranking up the offending cable doesn't necessarily solve the problem - typically all the cables need to be correctly adjusted because the drive geometry means that each tends to support the other(s).

Suggest you research these and come back with more info and/or questions if proper cable adjustment of all the cables does not sort out the problem for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:05 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This sounds like a newer Drive with a chain-cable installed incorrectly. Because these cables are slotted, they develop a "warp". They must be installed so that the warp is inboard, not outboard. In the picture below, the right cable is on the drum correctly, but the cable on the left is 180 degrees out of phase so it sits "sprung" out. It needs to be reinstalled so that its natural twist in toward the middle.

The drums have a small retainer bump (see below, highlighted area). A correctly installed cable should not be pressing against it. It sounds like your cable has been excessively tightened and is held in by the retainer, only to jump "overboard" when the Drive flexes under stress.

I think re-installation of your cable should fix your problem. Try reversing the cable left to right. 8)

PS. If you have not removed or reinstalled the cable since it came from the factory, there is a small possibility that the cable swedges could be misaligned during manufacture. In that case talk with your dealer about a replacement.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks its seems the pulleys was just worn out, i replaced it and seems to be fine now