Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Outfitter
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was looking at a Mirage Outfitter so I could fish with my son. However I will be using the kayak solo often. The marketing material says that the kayak is good for one or two people. How is this model with one person. I'm light at 140 pounds. Is this going to be a decent kayak with one person?

Thanks

Post subject: One?
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:02 am 
Site Admin

At 140 lbs you will be fine in the outfitter alone. You can place some gear in the front seat if you need to further balance the boat fore and aft. The biggest issue with a single user in any Tandem Mirage is the stern sinking from a heavy user in the aft seat. Weight must be placed forward to balance the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Listen to Matt, he knows his stuff. But, dont be afraid to go solo. My 8 year old son & I have an Outfitter and love it. It handles very well and is very stable. A couple of weeks ago my son was busy so I fished it solo. I didn't have anything heavy to store up front So it was just me (220 lbs) and my fishing gear, in the stern. No problems. The only difference noticed was a few more waves made it over the rails, a little wetter ride, no big deal. Still handled great. If I cant find something to store up front next time, I will fish it the same way, no problem.

Post subject: Bought one!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks you guys. I bought one a few weeks ago and have been out in it twice. No problem solo at all. I am amazed at the performance. First time out I caught a couple of bonita, baracuda and a calico...still looking for a yellow tail or white sea bass (long shot!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

catyak where are you located on catalina we will be at Cherry cove for the week of the 4th with an Adventure and a Revolution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep--as mentioned above, the Outfitter (I call this an Outback on steroids) is a great boat and will do fine with an average weight adult solo in the stern. If the boat does settle aft a bit more than you prefer, you can add a sandbag or two, or some gallon containers of water (e.g., say a military style 5 gallon container), or some dive weights, or a large dog(!) forward to even out the load. Have fun!